Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.40 Load data
 Login/Join

posted
I am using 165g Rainiers and need some recipes for power pistol. I loaded a few up with 7.3 grains, but found primers to flatten with pretty good recoil. I kinda like the flash from the slow burning powder. I usually use 5.0 grains of w231.
Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just back down towards 6.3 grains in 0.2 grain steps.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I like Vihtavouri n340, though I usually shoot 180's. Very low soot, even with light loads. If you can find it, give it a try...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You load a Ranier more like a lead bullet:
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pisto...r=Laser%20Cast%20155
Steve is right, you should be closer to 6.5gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your respones, I have been loading for a couple of years now, and still am quite not sure how to guess the loads for the total copper jacket bullets when all I can find is jacketed and lead. I have read use lead data, but have also read they fall somewhere inbetween. On the realoading section on rainier's web site, it always seems that my combination of available components are not listed. I will back it down to 6.3 grains of PP and see how it goes. So for I have had great luck with W231, WST and unique for the .40 I also have some N350 that I considered using, but found after I had bought it, mistakingly thinking I remembered seeing a bunch of data for it, that it is too slow of a powder and better suited for magnum rounds. I may try some in my 44 Mag in place of my unique loads of 8.5g for a 240g Rainier. I found that Universal Clays works very well in 135g Rainiers for light recoil and plinking. Not sure how it would perform with the 165's.
Steve, Love the web site as it has alway given a place to start for me since the very beginning days of my reloading.

Michael Hamby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arty155mm:
I am using 165g Rainiers and need some recipes for power pistol. I loaded a few up with 7.3 grains, but found primers to flatten with pretty good recoil. I kinda like the flash from the slow burning powder. I usually use 5.0 grains of w231.
Thanks.

Seriously your almost a couple of grains over what Winchester recomends as MAX for a 170 Gr bullet.

Reloading DATA

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Seriously your almost a couple of grains over what Winchester recomends as MAX for a 170 Gr bullet."

Winchester states 5.3g of W231 for a 170g bullet, I figure 5.0 for a 165g is more than safe,
Less than max propellant for a lighter bullet. Don't think I could go wrong there, and it's a nice mild load.

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arty155mm:
Thanks.

I'd agree 5.0 is safe but in your post you mentioned you loaded them with 7.3 not safe. Would like to have my fellow shooters around with all their given parts.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
with a little closer reading on your part, you would have seen that the powder listed as 7.3 grains was Power Pistol, not W231.

posted Hide Post
I seen how it could have been confusing after re-reading my post, sorry for the confusion and sloppy typing. I'm just trying to find anyone that has any good load data for 165g rainiers and Power Pistol.

Michael

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No confusion arty, some of the guys shoot first then read the post after. animal

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm using Power Pistol in my two Sig .40's with impressive results in accruacy and speed. I've been using the Laser Cast 155g and 180g bullets, and know that the cast bullets will produce higher velocities than the jacketed. I've gone with 8.3g for the 155g and 7.2g with the 180g. Results are with a Sig 226 and a Sig Pro respectively:
155g = 1325fps and 1175fps
180g = 1180fps and 1090fps
Recoil is stiff but accruacy has been outstanding with some 1" 3-shot groups with the Pro at 25 yds. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote