Find
Notify
Tools

Can brass be mixed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I had a quick question that I was hoping to get opinions on. When reloading batches of ammo for handguns such as .45, .9mm, .380, Do you use all the same kind of brass on a per batch basis or can say 50 Winchester brass cartridges and 50 Starline brass be used for the same caliber of 100 rounds?

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It can be done (and I do it all the time) but brands of brass may have different wall thickness affecting crimp efficiency and there are also differences in primer pocket dimensions, which is infuriating when you're on a role and one just doesn't want go in with the same stroke pressure as another. I don't load to maximum pressures so I don't have much of an issue there. But if you do load to max loads then I would separate brass by manufacturer and reload separately. You'll quickly see which ones burn hot and which ones don't.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is always preferable to match your brass in batches, but for informal handgun shooting it is not particularly necessary. Autoloaders might tend to be a bit more sensitive than revolvers in this regard.

For rifle shooting, even if somewhat informal, I always separate brass into lots that are as nearly the same as possible -- however, even lots of brass from the same manufacturer will vary as specs and tooling may change over a period of years.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is always preferable to match your brass in batches, but for informal handgun shooting it is not particularly necessary. Autoloaders might tend to be a bit more sensitive than revolvers in this regard.

For rifle shooting, even if somewhat informal, I always separate brass into lots that are as nearly the same as possible -- however, even lots of brass from the same manufacturer will vary as specs and tooling may change over a period of years.

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if you do load to max loads then I would separate brass by manufacturer and reload separately. You'll quickly see which ones burn hot and which ones don't.

Yep, don't do it for max loads, but for near minimum plinking loads, especially in a revolver, it's not a big deal.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
quote:
But if you do load to max loads then I would separate brass by manufacturer and reload separately. You'll quickly see which ones burn hot and which ones don't.

Yep, don't do it for max loads, but for near minimum plinking loads, especially in a revolver, it's not a big deal.

This is my experience also.

Here in the West we don't have as many indoor ranges and folks will just go out in the desert and blaze away. After you find out one of these spots it's amazing what the volume of brass that you will find there left by the shooters. Many different brands.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote