New
Find
Notify
Tools

dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ordering my press right now. Getting a Lee Classic Cast press. I was looking at dies at Midway, I noticed a lot of difference in price and apparently all the things they do. Any suggestions? I can buy RCBS local at Wal Mart not sure of the price though. Thanks Chain

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Every one will voice a preference for one brand or another. I have about equal numbers of Lees, RCBS and Lymans with a Redding or two tossed in. All reload fine ammunition some dies look prettier than others but it is what's inside that counts. I like the fact that Lee includes a shell holder and dipper and their prices are good. I have not had trouble with any of them, perhaps I am lucky. I can say that RCBS has some of the best customer service going.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i like rcbs, if i need a special expander, or nose punch for bullet seater rcbs custom shop will make it.. and i dont need the whole die just the insert into the die.. buffalow bullets has rcbs lead bullet expanders in stock at great prices.. i use two sets of dies for devleoping loads.. if the number two die gets better groups it moves into the number one box, and the old die is the trial and error die. that way you dont loose a good setting that gets good results while trying new settings.. .. good luck dave..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use Redding and RCBS three die sets (FL sizer, Neck sizer, Seater) and have a slight preference for Redding dies.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 34 years. Here is my recommendation, in order of preference:
Hornady
Redding
RCBS
Lyman
Remember the decapping stim is a die's weakest point.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee,Rcbs,Redding and Foster,the best is Forster,smooth full lengh sizing with their bench rest dies...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I'm trying to buy RCBS. I am almost ready. I just have to get my ass out in the garage and make the bench for all this stuff. Thanks for all the advice. Chain

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also have Lee, Sillon, RCBS & Redding, maybe even a set of Lyman. I lean to Redding for rifle dies & Dillon or RCBS for handgun.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was low bidder on Ebay for some RCBS dies so the pieces are coming together. Thanks for the help., Chain