Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Static Electricity
 Login/Join

posted
I've noticed that my powder likes to cling to the powder funnel when filling cases. I'm assuming static electricity is the cause. Could this be a potential problem?

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
It will throw your wieghts off. Use a dryer sheet and wipe the funnel down. That should take care of the static cling lol

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JDS makes an all aluminum funnel with caliber inserts. you will eliminate static forever. go to http://www.quick-measure.com and look at the ultimate funnel.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Wash the funnel in a solution of JOY. do not rinse and allow to dry.roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I really appriciate the suggestions. Does static electricity around the reloading bench present any safety issues? If so, are there any precautions that can be taken. I know that I get zapped when I touch my gun safe during the winter (it's in another room that's carpeted vs my reloading area that's in the basement with a cement floor).

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d try to keep static down around the bench if you notice it. I don`t know if it is so much a danger as far as igniting powder or primers, but it can cause false reading with your scales if the field is close enough.
The posts on static "proofing" your funnels -they also work on powder measures- are right on. I`m like smalstuf though and also picked up a aluminum funnel a few years back, that cured the problem for good.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thing that works is the spray "static guard". The comercials featured it being the solution to static cling of clothes. I had a static problem with a new plastice funnel from lee. A quick squirt on the outside quickly solved the problem.

Another use is when I'm opening a package from Midway. Those damn plastic peanuts want to cling to eveything! Mad Red Face boohoo A shot of static guard calms them right down, allowing me to see my purchases without fighting those peanuts off my fingers! Must have looked like Red Skelton, when he pantomined someone with something sticky on their fingers! Big Grin jump

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../283105412#283105412

Previous discussion on static electricity and relaoding.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote