Login/Join

<kromer>
posted
i was bored and found this
http://www.kailuacustom.com/Articles/338KCG.htm

any experiance and feedback please

<338Lapua>
posted
I have a 338-284 built on a Ruger 77 ULW SA by Pac-Nor, with a #1 contour stainless super match barrel and timney trigger.

Contrary to everything you read on these boards, I have had ZERO feeding problems converting a 308 win to a 284 based wildcat.

The only reason to go with this round was to duplicate 338-06 with a short action and it's different.

If you have any specific questions. Let me know.

Jim

<kromer>
posted
Well I’ve been looking at a new project, and when I saw this I got excited, looks like great velocity for such a small case volume. To throw that 250gr at +-2700fps is just the medicine I’ve been looking for I just found the velocity to be a bit high.

I’m looking at building a 300 yard hunting rig, something that can take moose and deer

What velocity are you getting?
How difficult is it to stretch the neck up to a 338.

<eldeguello>
posted
As 338lapua said, it is the equivalent of a .338/'06. Same capacity, same velocity.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one for years. Redding makes great dies cheap. I made one on an intermediate length mauser. A 338/06 really fills up the magazine on a mauser, this one has plenty of room for long bullets. Use 338/06 starting loads; case volume is so close that case brand makes more difference.

Going all the way from 7mm to 338 is not the easiest "stretch". Use a 30 caliber button as an intermediate. I like the easier way of annealing, then fire forming.

No feed problems, and a great round. I have always thought the 284 case is inheritently accurate, like a PPC on steroids.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Ditto what eldeguello said. Actually I use 338-06 data in my 338-284.

I use CH/4D dies, and had them make me an expander die that starts at 284 and steps to 338, very easy and simple process.

Jim

[ 03-03-2003, 22:11: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 338Lapua:
I have a 338-284 built on a Ruger 77 ULW SA by Pac-Nor, with a #1 contour stainless super match barrel and timney trigger.<br /><br />Contrary to everything you read on these boards, I have had ZERO feeding problems converting a 308 win to a 284 based wildcat.<br /><br />The only reason to go with this round was to duplicate 338-06 with a short action and it's different.<br /><br />If you have any specific questions. Let me know.<br /><br />Jim

Jim, do you still have your 338-284. I'm in the process of building one. Any insight you can give me. Good loads or the best powder to use. Thanks, powdr

Posts: 309 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 25 July 2011Reply With Quote