New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumler Tunblers; Vibratory V Rotational Drums
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking on the thumlers website and am wondering which of there tumblers are best, they had vibrational models as well as rotational. They also had Industrial versions of there Vibratory models which leads me to assume that the vibration model is the best. Also can the vibration model do everything the rotational model can and vice versa ??

Regards PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a viberated type tumbler, but I think both work, it is of little concern to me as both do the job...

I am not sure which is best for molycoating bullets however and would like some input on that.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Got both. Use the tumbler for years and switched to the vibratory. I found that the vibratory was faster and did not beat up the case mouths. I got vibratory from Midway with the brass separator. It has worked great for me. The tumbler was used for moly coating.
Moly Coating

Posts: 11 | Location: Taylor, Michigan | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help thus far. Looks as though the Vibratory is the best one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of our local gunsmiths have taken to using a rotory tumbler using brass nails as media. They use it wet with a pinch of something or another. The cases come out perfectly clean inside and out primer pockets and all! It leaves the nicest looking cases I've ever seen. I have 3 vibratory tumblers and have used them with good success for years, but I've bought one of the "wet" tumblers to compare them. I'll let you know about my results when I have them.
To start out though, I think it's hard to beat a Midway tumbler package. You can get everything you need including a separator for less than the cost of a good rotary tumbler. I think that would be the best place to start........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rotational, like RCBS's, is excellent for blackpowder rifle cartridges where you really should wash the brass soon after shooting it. I just use soap and water.

For everything else I use a Dillon Tumbler.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A tumbler, in the literal and dictionary-type definition operates like the RCBS Sidewinder, a big rotating barrel that effectively 'tumbles' what you put inside.
The tumbler name has actually lent itself to those 'Vibratory Case Cleaners' which make up the majority of the tumbler market.
I stock all of the major brands of tumblers, with Thumler being one of the first to hit the market years ago. At home, I use a cheapie Lyman and it does a fine job.
In fact, Lyman seems to have taken over a big part of the tumbler market today, introducing such features as Auto-Flo which allows you to easily remove media without unscrewing anything or removing the bowl.
So really, when it come down to it, those who come in and are looking for a tumbler, either they want the cheapest, a middle-of-the road, or the biggest and best there is.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman tumblers, and I've owned three, have longevity problems. None of mine made it past a couple of years. Also the ones with a clear plastic top rapidly develop cracks in those pieces. This just isn't something Lyman does well. The RCBS and Dillon, however, just keep on going.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the MidwayUSA(now called Frankford Arsenal for some reason) model for many years. Works great. I change bowls for molycoating cast and jacketed bullets. I'm satisfied with the operation and the price. Never used the tumbling kind.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything that Midway calls their own brand is a lie.
They do not produce anything themselves, they are nothing more than a money-grubbing profit whore who, along with RSR and the like are putting the gun-industry out of business.
That being said, I also stock the Frankford Arsenal tumbler, a low price item that seems to hold up.
Frankford Arsenal, it seems to me, is a company who copies RCBS, but sells at a lower price.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lyman seems to have taken over a big part of the tumbler market today, introducing such features as Auto-Flo which allows you to easily remove media without unscrewing anything or removing the bowl.
-Spencer

FWIW, I have used my AutoFlo model for quite a few years now. The rubber stopper (seal, or what have you) that stops the media flowing out, unfortunately has not worn as well as the remainder of the tumbler - which is still very serviceable. So what to do with a loose plug?? Possible to get a new one??

I needed another tumbler, so I ordered a larger Lyman - they are one of the few manufacturers that offer 220/240V models available via the standard mail-order houses. After a looong wait, and high shipping and import expenses, the coveted item finally arrived at my house. Unpack.... The papers included specify "Lyman tumblers come assembled", and there was a quality inspection slip in the box.... The tumbler was NOT assembled (how did that get through quality control??), and the nut that was supposed to be fixed on the inside of the engine unit and hold the central stem onto which the bowl threads was loose. Result: impossible to assemble the tumbler, unless you know how to take the unit containing the motor apart. Furthermore, almost impossible to get in touch with Lyman (or whatever company owns that brand to complain). NOT a good Lyman experience!

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shopcart so which model was the biggest & best ??

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've used both for years but now use only the vibrating ones. I have a Thumbler & a Dillon, both have had 100s of hours on them & still going strong.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both also, Thumlers as well as Dillon. My Dillon is all that I use now. I have a older Magnum FL-2000 Dillon that I can't begin to count the hours on. It just keeps on going, and does a beautiful job with ground corn cob and a couple of tablespoons of Dillon Rapid Polish. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
Anything that Midway calls their own brand is a lie.<br />They do not produce anything themselves, they are nothing more than a money-grubbing profit whore who, along with RSR and the like are putting the gun-industry out of business.

I for many years was a money-grubbing..

But I can't tolerate it in Midway's CEO Larry Potterfield.

Not when he rubs my nose in it.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey PC, I got an RCBS "tumbler" on special.
Turned out to be a vibrator, made in China, with an RCBS sticker on it, no media supplied, and a weird European plug.

But after all that, with an adapter, it works a treat, although you can end up with very clean brass that still has corrosion marks on it.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tumbling types can be used with ceramic media and cleaning solution, which is the best way to clean cases loaded with blackpowder or that have corroded a little. If all you want to use is walnut shells or corncob, the vibrating models work better.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Atkinson. Is this Ray?
I use rotational tumblers for Moly. PM me if you want the whole deal.
I f this is Ray, thanks for your patience and help in the past. You gave me good advice on laods for Africa.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote