Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted
Jamison International was down for awhile. They are back up and running at www.captechintl.com/products
I looked and they listed 250 Savage brass as in stock. I ordered 200 pieces. It should be in about a week.
Let you know how that goes.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hit on your url and came up with nothing, can you recheck it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
Ok, I just clicked on the link and got nothing. I just entered that address in my search engine and it came up on a list.
I don't really know how to do links.
I just know I found them and ordered some brass.
Sorry about any confusion.
Leo

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Craigster.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are out of stock...Everyone lists the 250s and 25-35s, but they all show out of stock.....

The do show 250s and 348 Win. loaded ammo and that's a plus for sure.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm about ready to give up trying to chase nonexistent brass all over the place and just buy forming dies. I need .257 Roberts, 6mm Remington, and .250 Savage. Oh, and .222 Remington Magnum too, but I have a good stock of that. I think I'd rather be able to make my own than to have to depend on the vagaries of the manufacturers.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's what I do. I form 250 & 300 Savage from LC 308 and by necessity I make 219 Zipper. Some people freak out over not having the correct headstamp but I'm not one of them.

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
Why don't you try up sizing 22-250 brass. There are plenty of top brands available everywhere. I know when you up size there is a little doughnut where the neck meets the shoulder but once you fire form the brass the doughnut is on the outside and after that I only neck size the brass only 3/4 of the way down just to hold the bullet. At that point the doughnut is a moot point. I should say that my 250 is a Sav. 111-G bolt action. I don't know how a lever action like a 99 would work w/ just neck sized brass.

Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree about the donut. When you fire the case the donut is on the inside. When you size and expand it is then on the outside. It has to be dealt with, whether by reaming or turning. Also Imho necking up stretches the brass... whether this is excessive or not may be debated. I also believe that stretching renders the brass more susceptible to cracking and may lead to too much thinning of the neck as well. All of which points to necking and sizing down as the better solution. But again that can be the subject of much conversation.
At any rate, given my caliber needs as above, I would plan to use plentiful 7x57 or 30-06 brass as a starting point. I know the necessary dies will cost a bit, but I'm willing to spend as necessary within reason in order to insure supply. I also realize that not everybody will see this the same way.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
The website listed 250 Savage brass as a available, I ordered 200 pieces. It came in just one week later. I don't think I bought the last 200 they had.
It looks like nice brass, not as bright and shiny as some. Been inspecting it a bit. From measuring the case necks it looks like I can just load it. My chamber is set to a snug headspace. It wouldn't chamber, One pass through the size die and it chambers nice.
My 250 Savage is a Savage 11 that a put a 250 Savage barrel on. I set the head space with a factory round with .002 headspace.
After one pass through the size die it measures from 1.899 to 1.208, weigh 172.6 grs to 173.8.
I used Win 748 powder, filled to top of neck, 41.2 grs.
The factory brass holds 46.1, the Hornady 22-250 brass I converted holds 47 grs.
I plan to start out with a light load to fire form, then retest all these things.
Leo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I placed an order and got a reply that they intend to make a run of 250s in the next couple of months and will notify me..There is no plan to make 25-35 Win. brass...

The donut on the 250 case should be removed, end of story..I don't believe that stretching a case from 222 to 257 thins out the neck all that much, but might tend to work harden, but if that's worrisome to you then I suggest you anneal from time to time.

I have been using 22-250 Norma cases for a couple of years that I just necked up and loaded and had no problems at all, some I have reloaded maybe 4 times so far...I do have a lot of factory loaded Rem and Win. 250-3000 new ammo that I have picked up here and there and shooting a lot of it up these days. The Silvertip and Corelokts sure do lay deer down pronto and they are not all that fast..just dependable bullets at a decent velocity that makes for good bullet performance.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see. I think I read you can expand 204 Ruger to .222 Mag with little trouble. And the form die sets for .219 Wasp are available. It necks up to .25/35 easy enough. Neck anneal is a must.

It is a pleasant intellectual exercise, but it is exercise. Too bad the oldies are getting scarce but.

The "die shop" at RCBS became "Huntington Die Specialties" with the sale of RCBS. Haven't done business with them. Very happy before. Luck. Happy Holidays. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brain phart. It is .219 Zipper. The wasp is a shortened zipper. Super accurate but less powder. !!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most of the time you do not need a special form die; just use your Fl die and carefully milk the parent brass into it. Or use other common dies, like using a 260 Rem to take 308 brass down to 243. And ream the neck. Form dies are very expensive and not needed, usually. Unless you have money, then no problem.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Grafs shows 250 Savage brass in stock. Midway has both 300 and 22-250

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grafs shows 250s but its not in stock, so I called and They told me perhaps in about 45 days or so, it sells out fast.. They will notify me when it comes in, its Jamison brass..

BTW Midway has some 6.5x52R, selling it as 25-35, the emails to Graf show case failure by some and claims of 5 reloads from others. Midway claims its produced by Remington, but I wouldn't trust anything Remington claims, they would rather lie than tell the truth.

My experience with foreign 6.5x52R is you lose a lot of cases to shoulder seperations..I am inclined to just figure on the bsflag by some of those reports..

I will patiently await for Jamison, HOrnady or someone to produce brass for my 25-35, and I have an abundance of factory loaded 25-35 WW ammo. Also a lot of 250-3000. I think HOrnady is planning on 25-35 production??

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120