New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers, Oil & Water
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There's been discussion here before regarding the effects of dampness and oil contamination on primers. Most often heard is the opinion that oil will "kill" primers and dampness can also render them ineffective.

I decided to do a little test and find out for myself. 10 small pistol primers were submerged in water for 4 hours and 10 in Kroil, also 4 hours. After soaking they were drained and allowed to dry for 96 hours in a warm/dry area.

The primers were loaded in cases (38Spl) and popped off in a 2" barreled revolver.

Water soaked, all fired. Kroil soaked, 7 fired, 3 duds. Judging from the noise level, the water soaked primers were as good as new, the Kroil soaked primers, however, seemed to have lost some of their brisance.

It would seem, oil over time may or may not "kill" a primer, water doesn't.

I think the next test will be the same as above, but without the drying time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I tried similar with water & WD-40. As you noted with the water once dried they all went off. With the WD-40 I found the longer the drying time the more would go off though it never was 100%. With thge WD-40 they did seem to loose a bit of there umph.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked lately but years ago Saeed did such a test and it was published in the information section of this site. It was quite thorough. You might check it out as it was very informative and very thorough.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob338, Didn't Mr. Foster also do a very controlled Test of this a few years ago?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Yes he did. Bob Foster was one of the most knowledgeable posters around. He's now retired and hangs out at another site I frequent.

Bottom line is it takes a helluva lot to kill a primer.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob338:
Yes he did. Bob Foster was one of the most knowledgeable posters around. He's now retired and hangs out at another site I frequent.

Bottom line is it takes a helluva lot to kill a primer.[/QUOTE

When I started loading,(1963), I was told empahaticly that just the oil on my fingers would kill primers. Have primers gotten better,(better sealers), or were the primers of that era that fragile?

Kroil and wd-40 are both penetrating oils. They probably dissolve the sealant to render the primers inert. I would think a simple petroleum based oil would have less effect on primers.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by grizz:
quote:

When I started loading,(1963), I was told empahaticly that just the oil on my fingers would kill primers. Have primers gotten better,(better sealers), or were the primers of that era that fragile?

I was told the same thing. I'd try the same test on with some 40 or 50 year old primers but I don't have any that old. I do have some 50yr old Turk 8mm, maybe I'll pull some down and see what Kroil does to the primers used in it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote