New
Find
Notify
Tools

distance from lands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just starting to reload and have a question about bullet seating. How do you determine the distance from the lands? I know about the Stoney Pt chamber indicator, but I don't think that they make a modified case for the 9.3x62. BTW, my gunsmith added the following info: OAL to touch speer 270gr- 3.300", Nosler 286 par 3.378'.

Thanks,

Chad

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My notes show the CIP Max OAL to be 3.291, although if your magazene will allow it to go longer you can exceed that figgure.
Using that # the Speer would be .009 off the lands and the Nosler would be .087 off the lands.
With either bullet, I'd want to stay at least .035 off the lands (IE: shorten the OAL with the Speers to 3.265), but that's just me.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chad

A quick and dirty way = get a cleaning rod with a flat end on the tip, a fine point marking pen, a long pencil and the bullet you want to use.

1. remove bolt
2. point muzzle down and drop the bullet into the chamber, point first.
3. put the pencil into the chamber, eraser first, and hold the bullet firmly against the lands.
4. put the cleaning rod down the muzzle until the flat tip contacts the bullet point.
5. with your third hand make a mark on the rod even with the end of the muzzle.
6. remove rod, pencil, and bullet.
7. make a dummy round with the same bullet seated where you want it.
8. put dummy round in chamber and close bolt.
9. insert cleaning rod same as before and make another mark as before.
10. remove everything and measure distance between the two marks. That is the distance between the bullet and the lands.

Not as hard as it sounds.

PS - Probably best to remove the firing pin from the bolt when doing all this, just to make sure.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you send Stoney Point a fired case of any cartridge they will prep it for use with their tool.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
Why not do it this way, Take a fired case from that chamber and with a dremel tool put a slit in the neck only. Barley seat the bullet into the case them chamber it. This will seat the bullet to touch the lands. Now remove the round carefully and measure with a stoney point bullet comparator. This tools measures off the ogive instead of the point. Works really well.

People kill people, Not guns.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Another way

Get a wooden 1/4" dowel rod (any hardware store) and a single edge razor.

1. put the bolt in and insert the dowel down the muzzle until it hits the bolt face

2. carefully (don't cut yourself) lay the single edge razor flat against the muzzle and mark the wooden dowel.

3. insert the bullet in the chamber and hold it gently against the lands with the pencil eraser or any other way you can think to do it. Don't push hard cause you can force the bullet into the lands as much as .04".

4. insert the wooden dowel in again and gently touch the bullet, mark the rod again with the razor.

5. now you can measure between the marks. I find it helpful if you increase the depth of the marks with the razor and then trim out a ledge on either side so that you have a lip for your caliper points

If you could figure out the size and threads on the Stoney Point you could tap one of your fired shells and use it. Someone once posted it here a couple of months ago.

Without guns we are subjects or victims, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I think that I'll send a case to Stoney Pt.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
bm-3
one of us

Posted 30 April 2005 06:26
A few weeks ago I picked up two tap's and they are 5/16 x 36. These had to be ordered in. These are something that I could not find within 100 mile of here. They run around ten dollars each.

The above was posted on

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2.../899100852#899100852

I think I'm going to get one of these taps and start making my own modified cases that are fire formed and PFLR'd. Don't know if it will be a PITA to tap a case or not.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello mrfudd,

Excellent idea! Just be careful with the Stoney Point tool. There is a slight learning curve involved. It took me a while before I could get duplicate readings on successive measurements. I would often be .020 to .030" off. Now I have no problems. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerJust load it to go into the mag if that is what you want and forget all this against the rifling and .005 from the rifling. Many new rifles have such deep throats that the bullet falls out of the case before it can be seated even .O50 from the rifling.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the sinclair tool is cheaper, and uses unmodified cases fired in your chamber. I get exact results every time. Best $20 you will ever spend.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:
the sinclair tool is cheaper, and uses unmodified cases fired in your chamber. I get exact results every time. Best $20 you will ever spend.

Hey JustC

Can you post a link to the sinclair, I can't find it on Midway or Midsouth.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 124 | Location: CA | Registered: 19 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustC:

Yep, WAY better tool than a Stoney Point. All you need is a bullet, a sized cased with a spent primer, the Sinclair tool, and a pair of calibers.

Don't forget the bullet comparator, which you will need regardless if you use a Stoney Point or Sinclair chamber length tool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer using the actual bullet rather than fooling with other stuff. Nosler posted how to do this in their forum.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=706&highlight=seating+depths

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods,..MZEE beat me to it. Thanks MZEE. Sinclair manufactures (or has manufactured) many tools that compete with others on the market. I have found their tools to be of VERY HIGH quality and workmanship and they are priced right in line with everyone else. Their OAL tool is fast and accurate and no friggin modifying of cases, it beats the stoney point hands down IMHO. Using a fired case from your chamber eliminates all case variables and you KNOW that your OAL measurement will be with the casehead touching the boltface and the bullet at the lands becuase you are using that fired case to get a boltface to chamber shoulder measurement which is exactly a mirror of your chamber with your fired case.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I prefer using the actual bullet rather than fooling with other stuff. Nosler posted how to do this in their forum.

http://noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=706&highlight=seating+depths

The Sinclair bullet comparator and seating depth tools allow you to do what Nosler suggests, but they do it far more accurately and precisely than using felt tip marks on the bullet.

That's how I determine seating depth for all my 600 yard match ammo in two different calibers.