Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS X Die
 Login/Join

<Don, Sr.>
posted
I am working up loads for my Savage Model 10FP, and am wondering if the use
of this full lenght sizing die will indeed limit 'growth' and extend the life of
my brass! Does ANYONE have any experience with this equipment, that they
would be willing to share? Thanks, and this IS a neat place to learn isn't it?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Yes, the X-dies work as advertised. They do stop the case from growing. Instead of lengthening the neck, it thickens. Does that increase case life? Not really. The case still thins at the expansion ring, and the neck still expands and is resized the same amount. Base separations and neck cracks will appear about at the same time.

Nevertheless, the X-dies do keep you from trimming, which is a big deal IMO.

For maximum case life, minimal resizing, combined with annealing to prevent neck cracks is the only way to truly extend case life that I know of. Minimal resizing ALSO reduces the need for trimming with most cartridges, and it DOES prevent separations. It's the way to go, I believe. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
I have had very good luck with the X dies. I wish they came in more options. I can geet 15 shots out of my 22-250 brass with the X dies as compared to about 11 when i trimed. The necks seem to thicken up and last longer before they split. Standard brass seems to work a little better then nickle plated with the X dies.
PS. use lots of case lube!

[ 11-02-2002, 23:36: Message edited by: bearlake ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the X dies and have several sets...I hate to trim cases.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How is runnout with the x-die?? It seems to me that one of the principals of the x-die is that it works the neck different and I thought that might actually help concenticity. Can you guys tell me if they seem to also make a little "straighter" ammo?? thanks kraky

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote