New
Find
Notify
Tools

shooting new loads
 Login/Join

<Matt>
posted
This may be a stupid question, Has it been when working up new loads and you are looking for accuracy only, Is 100 yd. the rule of thumb for seeing how they will group. I listen to a couple of guys discuss this at the range yesterday. One was shooting 50yd. and the other 100yd.

Thanks
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50yard guy and the 100 yard guy are both right. You shoot at 100 so the result is realistic MOA of that particular rifle/load. Some tests at 50 because at 50 there's less wind drift to worry about. Some "snipers" are advocates of 50 yard accuracy testing.

I prefer to shoot my loads at 100.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I do my initial testing at 100 yards, and final testing at 200 yards. I "zero" all my rifles from 30 caliber down for 325 yards.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Depends on what the load is for, too. You wouldn't test a 1,000 yard or 600 yard load at 50 yards. Or a 50 yard deer load at 300.

If you intend to shoot the load at 300, it would seem prudent to test performance at that distance? FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote