Notify
Tools

Powder choice for short barrel 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Well this is embarrasing, you gentlemen are being unkind to the poor chap hot-core mentions
Hey Ghubert, Actually we are laughing "with" my buddy(who was still disappointed but chuckling as he told me), instead of laughing "at" my buddy.

He is a stickler for doing things precisely and is very good at it. He prefers Custom built rifles based on M70s or the Montana Action. Really a good personal friend who knew I'd bust a gut about "his M70" shooting so slow. And yet, until he knew, he had all the confidence in the world in it.
-----

Ghubert, The problem I see with H4895 is you will reach a MAX Pressure before you use all the Case volume. That can get a person in over his head who does not understand how to "measure" CHE and PRE. So, I'm going to let these guys with more "current experience" than I have with the old 30-06 help you out. I always used H4350 and H414 in mine, didn't chronograph a lot of them and was happy.

quote:
Vapo's whamming:
While I know you're not too high on chronys, they do separate fact from fiction...
Agree and agree. If the totally incorrect "Velocity = Pressure" had never been dreamed up, I'd still like them - occasionally.

Whoever started that ignorance deserves a special place in the great beyond. I see it as irresponsible that the Beginners can be completely mislead about Velocity because the manufacturers do not explain how chronographs can create false impressions and Pressure Problems. I find it better to tell the Beginners they are wasting their money on them, rather than going through the whole fiasco each time it comes up, and then have some of them still not understand.

Some otherwise intelligent people really believe it is OK to just keep dumping in Powder until an arbitrary Velocity, picked from a Manual, is reached, which is pitiful.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded a few rounds, and here are the results:
control:
Win SuperX Power point 180gr factory load:
- 2640fps, 1.5" group.

Win SuperX Silver tip 220gr factory load
- 2280fps, 0.5" group.
I didn't find blast or recoil objectionable with this load. Interesting load to try for moose in the bush, but quite slow.

H4350, Win new case, Fed 215M
Speer 180 PSP Hot cor
53gr. - 2510fps
54gr. - 2569fps
55gr. - 2610fps
56gr. - 2665fps - 1.5" grp.
57gr. - 2726fps - 0.7" grp.
58gr. - 2759fps - 1.2" grp.
These were only three shot groups, so don't mean much, but I'm encouraged that I can get the velocity I want with H4350, and good accuracy. Pressure looks comparable to Win factory load up to 57 gr. Expansion ring a bit more pronounced on the 58 grain. I'd call 57 max. after a bit more testing.

Reloader 15, Win new case, Win LR
Speer 180 PSP Hot cor
44gr. - 2370fps
45gr. - 2424fps
46gr. - 2452fps
47gr. - 2495fps
48gr. - 2547fps
49gr. - 2598fps - 1.6" grp.
Pressure looked OK on all.
I DID notice muzzle blast was less with the R15 loads, but it was actually hard to tell how much less because I was wearing hearing protection.
I want to try other combinations to satisfy my curiosity, and especially IMR3031 and IMR4064.

Like many posters suggested, 4350 looks like a good powder.

Posts: 238 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
57gr. - 2726fps - 0.7" grp.

Mmmm... looks like you already found your load and that with 'hot cor's! Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
Pressure looks comparable to Win factory load up to 57 gr. Expansion ring a bit more pronounced on the 58 grain.

I found out something interesting... the cases may have "looked" similar to factory loads at the expansion ring of the case, (and primer flattening was similar, but I realize that I wasn't using the same brand of primer) but when I measured with a micrometer, most of the H4350 loads showed more expansion than the Win factory load. Starting at about he same velocity actually. So I must be loading to higher pressure. It just goes to show you can't rely on "looks" - only measurements. I will verify safety of the 57 gr. load by loading the same three cases four more times and see how the primer pockets hold up. If no loose pockets, I will use this load as my "full power" load.
I'll probably keep on experimenting though....

Posts: 238 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longwalker:
... It just goes to show you can't rely on "looks" - only measurements. I will verify safety of the 57 gr. load by loading the same three cases four more times and see how the primer pockets hold up. If no loose pockets, I will use this load as my "full power" load.
I'll probably keep on experimenting though....
Hey Longwalker, Good to see it coming together for you. Completely agree with your value of the measurements and retesting to see how well the Primer Pockets hold up.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
Well this is embarrasing, you gentlemen are being unkind to the poor chap hot-core mentions
Hey Ghubert, Actually we are laughing "with" my buddy(who was still disappointed but chuckling as he told me), instead of laughing "at" my buddy.

He is a stickler for doing things precisely and is very good at it. He prefers Custom built rifles based on M70s or the Montana Action. Really a good personal friend who knew I'd bust a gut about "his M70" shooting so slow. And yet, until he knew, he had all the confidence in the world in it.
-----

Ghubert, The problem I see with H4895 is you will reach a MAX Pressure before you use all the Case volume. That can get a person in over his head who does not understand how to "measure" CHE and PRE. So, I'm going to let these guys with more "current experience" than I have with the old 30-06 help you out. I always used H4350 and H414 in mine, didn't chronograph a lot of them and was happy.

quote:
Vapo's whamming:
While I know you're not too high on chronys, they do separate fact from fiction...
Agree and agree. If the totally incorrect "Velocity = Pressure" had never been dreamed up, I'd still like them - occasionally.

Whoever started that ignorance deserves a special place in the great beyond. I see it as irresponsible that the Beginners can be completely mislead about Velocity because the manufacturers do not explain how chronographs can create false impressions and Pressure Problems. I find it better to tell the Beginners they are wasting their money on them, rather than going through the whole fiasco each time it comes up, and then have some of them still not understand.

Some otherwise intelligent people really believe it is OK to just keep dumping in Powder until an arbitrary Velocity, picked from a Manual, is reached, which is pitiful.

thank you for the advice Hot-cor, I think i'll try H4350 next and start measuring the extractor groove and case web thumb

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote