Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing 300wsm to 7mm wsm
 Login/Join

posted
Has anybody resized any 300 wsm brass to 7mm wsm. I am not sure of a safe way to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Browning A-bolt 7mm WSM

Posts: 2 | Location: Denver Colorado | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
While I've never held them side by side my data shows the 7mag to be longer from the base to shoulder. If that is the case you will need to insure your die is set to give you a false shoulder yielding a slight crush fit. Then load and fire. The case will have a little less capacity befofe forming but it shouldn't casue you a problem.

If you plan to use the plated cases good luck. I've never had much "good" luck resizing (reforming) plated cases. At $.50 eac I would sell or give away the 300 and buy new 7mm.

How's the weather? Heard I had snow on my lot in Conifer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the base to shoulder distance on a 7WSM is slightly more than the 270 or 300 WSM. Supposedly, it's to prevent a 7WSM from being chambered in a 270WSM. Of course, it creates huge excessive headspace if a 270 WSM is chambered in a 7WSM.....

I haven't tried this and don't know anyone who has, but this dimensional difference will probably create a problem for you.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
7WSM is slightly more than the 270 or 300 WSM. Supposedly, it's to prevent a 7WSM from being chambered in a 270WSM

Same reason the 280 was made longer than the 270. You just need to give it something to headspace on. Either a false shoulder or as some do jamb the bullet into the lands. I prefer the false shoulder when I need to move a shoulder forward.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote