Find
Notify
Tools

Scirocco II vs Accubond
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
Which of the two following bullets do you guys feel is better constructed to withstand higher velocity impact? The bullets would be utilized on deer to slightly larger sized game with initial velocities of ~ 3,200-3,300 fps.

Question:
Choose from the following

Choices:
.284 150 grain Swift Scirocco II
.284 160 grain Nosler Accubond

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
From their web site, Swift has redesigned the Scirocco for impacts to 3300 fps.

As to terminal effect in an animal...that's where the conversation becomes interesting!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably wont be able to tell a difference.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
While my experience tells me the AB is easier to work up loads with, all I can do is give you a short stat of my kills:

Mule deer/45 yards/140 AB from 270....knocked animal down with quartering to shot. When we approached him, he got up and ran. Never found him.

4 black bears/66 yards and under/180 Scirocco/30.06....blew through both shoulders in 3 and one shoulder in one. No recovered bullets.

2 Black bears with CT ABs 225 gr/338WM both at 12 yrds and under/Recovered one bullet that broke onside shoulder but found in skin on opposing side. So much for "bigger is better and 2 holes are better than one." The other passed through.

3 Mule deer/200 AB/300 RUM all pass throughs/all shots under 400 yrds

1 antelope/200 AB/300 RUM 65 yrds/pass through

My personal thoughts are the Scirocco is a bit tougher while the AB is easier to get satisfying groups and is almost as good. However, you are adding 10 gr of bullet wt in your condition, so I think it would simply be a toss up.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
Good info to know I have some Sciroccos on hand so that works out well. I'll be shooting them out of a 7.21 Lazzeroni.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote