Find
Notify
Tools

Inspection mirror
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Looking for ideas to mount an inspection mirror on my Hornady Projector press. I like to check that there is powder in the case. My new reloading bench mounts the press too high for easy inspection.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would a Dental mirror work?
A #5 is 7/8" in diameter. The stem is 1 3/4" long.
If it would work contact your dentist. If he wouldn't give you one I will.
Let me know.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Expensive but look into a small screen fiber optic camera

I have thought about this many times but never checked into it....cost would be a negative but the camara would look strait down the mouth and the screen could be mounted for ease of viewing

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas! I used Kobalt inspection mirror did the trick!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Show us the set up

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why in the world would you use a progressive that doesn't allow you to watch the powder drop to ensure it happens with every case? No disrespect intended, but there is no way I would use a progressive press that required me to "load blind".

Now, if it is a matter of where the press is located that causes the issue, that is something else entirely. But my RCBS Piggyback will allow me to watch the powder drop with every round. I just assumed all the progressives did that...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Doubless,
I see the powder thrower disk operate. This is just a visual check in the case. I mean you do visually check to see that there is powder in each case, right?

At any rate my rig.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, yes, I do. But it is probably a useless step, if I have watched the powder drop in each and every case. Would you not agree?

There is a difference in designs... the Piggyback has a clear tube that allows you to watch powder actually fall from the powder reservoir into the case. That makes it almost too easy, in my mind. All I have to watch is the powder falling and make sure the primer shuttle picked up a primer. Then it is add a case and projectile, pull the handle, and watch a loaded round come off the press. Sweeeeeeet!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think it is important to see the powder in the case. Since my system does a "through the die" charging, I like to see powder in the case I'm putting the projectile on.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Checking powder levels in cases is one of my "hot points". I practically gave away a Dillon setup because I didn't trust the charging of cases and I had to stop everything to check each charge. I charge all the cases in a loading block and then compare each side-by-side with those around it. If I see a high or low charge I dump it into the pan on the scale and recheck it. For me, doing each step on all the cases is faster than completing one round before starting on the next.
I am faster getting accurate ammo using a single stage press than I was with the Dillon 550 that I had.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have enough stations just add a powder check die. I made one out of an extra expander die I had, or you can buy one. Just have to remember to look at it each time the handle goes down. I worry more about a double charge than no charge in the pistol cases.
C.G.B.