THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Undersized/normal straight-walled cartridge dies

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Undersized/normal straight-walled cartridge dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have both the 357 and 44 Magnum dies in Hornady and RCBS. Both of them fullsize the cases smaller (in dia) than factory (corbon, rem) loaded cartridges, by about 0.0035 in (35 thousandths of an inch). This makes my reloaded rounds "bulge" along the length of the case mouth where the bullet is seated, while the main body of the cartridge is 0.0035 smaller in diameter.

Is this "normal"? How many in this forum have noticed this same problem with their reloads?

I wish Hornady and RCBS would make their die slop smaller, or at least take one back and replace it with a "tighter" FL die.

One work around that I have been thinking of trying is "partial" FL sizing the section where the bullet seats.

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard Art. I've had the same problem, mostly with 38's, 357's and 44's., enough that the loaded rounds would not chamber. This has been with commercial cast bullets. I haven't had the problem with jacketed bullets.I think case wall thickness is a factor along with the final diameter of the cast bullets. I've found running the loaded rounds thru a Lee taper crimp die to be the least frustrating way to deal with the problem. It does add an extra step to the process, but works quite well. I use a taper crimp on auto pistol ammo as well. BTW, where 'bouts in Ca. are ya?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig, thank you for the cordial reception ('twas my first post!!!). I'm in Southern, Ca.

Yes, the "bulge" is most pronounced with lead bullets (since they're one thousandth of an inch bigger), but also noticeable with jacketed bullets. Good thing is all my loaded rounds chamber; they just don't look like "factory" because of that noticeable "bulge".

I've just loaded a few this evening in partially FL sized cases and they look very pretty (without the bulge) and they all still chamber.

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Art,

What you are seeing is a good thing. ( IMHO )
If the case is .0035 larger after seating a bullet than it was right before, you have your bullet grip in the right neighborhood.

My opinion of what is optimum for most loading is .003 - .004 , and for magnum pistols more is better than less.
This keeps the bullets where you left them during recoil.

Bullets that move themselves are not good ( DUH ! )

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Yep, see it in every pistol cartridge I load.

I also consider it a good thing, preventing the bullet from slipping out and jamming or worse, slipping in and causing overpressure...especially with my .40S&W!

It probably works the brass more, causing some shortening of case life, but mine always split at the crimp anyway, not the body, so I don't worry about it.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote