Find
Notify
Tools

bullets not to use in a Tikka T3
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted
I picked up a Tikka in 300 win mag last fall and I am looking to start reloading it now this winter.

I don't really want to open the whole this bullet is best discussion. Just want to know if any Tikka owners can tell me bullets that their guns don't like to shoot so I can avoid them in the process?

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your Tikka will not shoot Nosler 180 gr. Partitions, or Sierra 190 gr. Matchkings then I would sell it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Tikka or a .300 WM for that matter but my attitude is that if your rifle won't shoot a Sierra or a Hornady, then you've got problems.
When I'm beginning to load for a new rifle, I usually start with a Sierra bullet in the weight I want to use in the field. If Sierra doesn't have what I want, I then go to Hornady. For loading, I also begin with the recommended , accurate load in the Sierra book.
For my .338, I went to the 225 gr. Hornady bullet and for my .270 WSM's, it's been the 150 gr. Sierra. This is just what I do. The old saying "each rifle is different" is so true.
Personally, I'd start with the Sierra bullet in the weight you wantto use and the recommended /accurate powder.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Tikkas, one in 300 WM and the other in 30.06. Both are very accurate. Choose your bullet first. If you are going to hunt, then I would suggest at least a 180 grain. The NP's are about the best close to premium bullet IMO.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for 20+ different rifles and cartridges and have used Remington, Sierra, Hornady, Speer and Winchester bullets and the only one that I absolutely refuse to try ever again are the Winchester Power Point bullets.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't really want to open the whole this bullet is best discussion

Agree; almost every new rifle I purchase I begin w/a standard weight for caliber/cartridge in Nosler Ballistic tip.

While I may NOT end up using this particular bullet for hunting, IMO if a rifle won't shoot w/Nosler Ballistic Tips there's usually a Worm in the Apple somewhere.

Since you've asked; for a 300 Win. Mag. I'd try a box of 165 or 180 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips as starters; you can vary from there but that would be my first attempt to see what my new Boomer is capable of .....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two tikka's I have will shoot anything but the nosler BT probably will shoot in anything also.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
200gr NP.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is NOT directed at anyone in particular ,as it's simply an observation related to posts similar as this one .

Which bullet to load or what bullets to avoid makes little or NO sense for ANY firearm !.

Stating the intended purpose of the calibers primary target ; IE : Deer Elk Moose Tahr Chamois Antelope Eland or are we punching paper ?.

This helps tremendously in giving pertinent and proper advice ,as too which types of bullets are relevant for the person asking .

IMO An it's just that , as I own several Tikka's in various calibers an like them . FYI most modern firearms with decent ammunition

will in fact shoot 1.5 MOA or better once properly broke in and for hunting is GOOD ENOUGH in most applications .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a T-3 in 300 WSM and it shoots Partitions, Interlocks, Interbonds, Accubonds, and Sierras all very well. All are 180's except the Sierras and they are 165gr.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote