New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine was invited on an Oregon Elk hunt. He is a bow hunter and this is a rifle trip. I offered him my 300WSM for the trip. My question is, which of these bullets would be the best choice for an Oregon Elk hunt. I have
150gr Accubonds and Partitions, 165gr Partitions, 180gr Accubonds and Partitions and 180gr Partition PT. Accuracy is about the same for each of these bullets.
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30 calibre 180 grain bullet is the way to go. 165s are good bullets, but lack the sectional density needed for penetration on large animals (like elk) at longer ranges, and 150s have no place when hunting anything larger than deer.

As for the partition, that's as close to a sure thing as one can come -use them! Given that the accubond is a new bullet, I haven't taken any game with it yet, but I have some 200s that are bound for a 300 H&H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either of the partitions will work fine. 165 gr. bullets are very popular with real elk hunters, contrary to what you might read in gun magazines.

90% of the time any deer bullet will work on elk but occasionally a lightly constructed jacketed bullet will blow up on heavy bone and fail to penetrate. After this happens once or twice you learn your lesson and stick to Partitions, Barnes X, or the like.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
My favorite elk bullet for the 300 Win. Mag. is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition. It just-plain works, and under every sort of elk situation you can come up with. I would only choose the PP Partition over the SP Partition if there's a significant difference in accuracy. Otherwise, I'd go with the SP Part. every time.........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed plenty of elk with 150 gn bullets in my .308 and my grandfather has killed somewhere near 50 elk with his .257 weatherby with the 117 gn hornady roundnose bullets. its about shot placement more than anything else.

Posts: 29 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plowboy:
I have killed plenty of elk with 150 gn bullets in my .308 and my grandfather has killed somewhere near 50 elk with his .257 weatherby with the 117 gn hornady roundnose bullets. its about shot placement more than anything else.

Wayne VanZwoll took a nice elk with a 308 and 150 Interbond. Course that's a Interbond, a much better bullet than a lowly Nosler Partition. Big Grin
But, of the bullet you mentioned, I'd go with the 165 Partition. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr Barnes X
117gr Hornady SP
120gr Rem PSP
25-06
Spells instant Elk Trophy Any ???

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For an elk only trip, I like the 180gr NP. If it was a combo deer/elk, I think the 165gr gives up little to the 180gr in a partition & opens a bit faster for deer size game. Save the 150gr for deer.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HERE IN OREGON THE SHOTS CAN BE LONG OR SHORT, ITS A FUN PLACE TO HUNT, BUT I WOULD TAKE THE 180 GRAIN PARTITION...TJ3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to argue with that 180 Partition. If it doesn't get the job done throw your rifle at the Elk and run!

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 WSM is perfectly fine for hunting elk here, regardless of premium bullet or not.. I don't think you need a premium bullet...

Anything at 165 grains or more.. you are perfectly set..

Don't let some of these guys convince you that an Elk is armour plated...Once upon a time a 30.40 Krag with a 220 grain round nose was consider Elk Medicine par Excellence!

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
180gr. anything.

I hunted elk in Ore. with an '06 stoked with 180gr. Nosler PP Partitions, and a .338 WM with various loads fromm a 200gr. X to 250gr. GameKings.

I liked the heavier & bigger bullets from the .338 but it doesn't mean other stuff doesn't work. Depending on where in Oregon the hunt is shots can be very close at a Bull that's leaving fast to longer shots.

His choice of clothing should be a bigger concern than which bullet. With the quality of todays stuff the bullets choice is of minimal concern as long as it's within reason. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote