Notify
Tools

.30-30 Ackley Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Gentlemen,

do you have some experience of the .30-30 Ackley Improved? Velocities, loading, function in a Winch. 94 and more.

Thankfully,

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
Gentlemen,

do you have some experience of the .30-30 Ackley Improved? Velocities, loading, function in a Winch. 94 and more.
Fritz

No, but I believe Ackley thought rather highly of it. Ballistics should be similar to 300 Savage would be my guess.

Economically I doubt the project would justify the gain. You might consider selling the 30/30 and moving on to something entirely different. Just a thought.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
You might want to do a search, I think this was on this forum not long ago.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:

Economically I doubt the project would justify the gain. You might consider selling the 30/30 and moving on to something entirely different. Just a thought.

On the contrary: I don�t got a W94 in .30-30, but I�d like to have one. The only problem is that it isn�t legal for deer or moose here in Sweden. The cartridge is too slow and need some more velocity. thus my idea of the Ackley version.

Thanks for your inputs!

Fritz

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem is that it isn�t legal for deer or moose here in Sweden. The cartridge is too slow and need some more velocity. thus my idea of the Ackley version.

Do you mean to say that a 458 Win mag would be not allowed due to it's velocity? They infer from that insufficient power?? How about a M-1886 in 45-70. To slow for the bureocrats?? A 348 Win ??

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot:

Do you mean to say that a 458 Win mag would be not allowed due to it's velocity? They infer from that insufficient power?? How about a M-1886 in 45-70. To slow for the bureocrats?? A 348 Win ??

No quite so - the .458 and the .45-70 are quite O.K. I�m not quite sure of .348 W.

A bullet have to produce an energy of 2000 Joule at 100 meters and should be heavier than 10 grammes. Please don�t ask me to translate that into fps! ;D

As other leveractions than Winchester #94 .30-30 are rather rare here and Winchester doesn�t produce #94 Big Bore anymore, the simplest way to go would be an Ackley.

If we quite serous consier the reality in the field the .30-30 would be quite enough - but in bureau-crazy it�s too weak. Alas!

Best regards

Fritz

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're not absolutely set on the M94, and don't yet have the rifle, consider the Marlin 336 series (guide gun etc.) in 450 Marlin. Yhe rifle is readily available as is ammo (Hornady and others). It produces nearly twice the required energy, has a more useful trajectory and is absolutely devastating on game with minimum meat damage. With the factory muzzle breaks, recoil is comperable to a stock 30-30. It's a nice rig. Just a thought.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
How about the 307 winchester? I think it is just a 308 case with 150-170 grain 30-30 flatnose type bullets. The lever gun makers had offered this in some modles at one time.

<Kimmo E>
posted
30-30 imp isn`t enough in Sweden with a 20i barrel.

I�ll think a m94 should be a carbine and not a long rifle to justify itself.

I have a Browning 81blr in 308 20ibarrel, and i like it.

Shot a beaver with it last weekend!