Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seal Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
I was reloading some 500 grain North Forks for my Searcy. The brass Hornady cases loaded no problem with the cup pointed solids as usual.

I loaded the flat pointed solids in some new never fired Federal nickel cases. The bullet did not crimp as well. They don't move in or out at all, but they are able to turn around.
I have adjusted the die to the max in an effort to rectif this but they still spin a little.

I tried sealing a few with clear nail polish and it stoped them from moving at all. i plan on trying them our in the next few days to see if they perform OK.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you size the cases prior to seating the bullets? Sometimes the annealing process on the brass will make a difference in mouth dimension.

I have to belive that will take care of the problem. I would pull those bullets one at a time, dump the powder and size just the necks of the case. Don't go into the die so far you knock out the primer. Then re-charge the case, re-seat the bullet and check for neck tension.

Let us know!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Did you size the cases prior to seating the bullets? Sometimes the annealing process on the brass will make a difference in mouth dimension.

I have to belive that will take care of the problem. I would pull those bullets one at a time, dump the powder and size just the necks of the case. Don't go into the die so far you knock out the primer. Then re-charge the case, re-seat the bullet and check for neck tension.

Let us know!

Yup.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I've had a similar problem in loading Barnes bullets for a 30/06 and solved my problem with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I personally wouldn't use nail polish on the bullets as I don't know what nail polish residue on the bore would do.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
new never fired Federal nickel cases

Dear Honkey - Uglystick ......

Did you at least prior to loading run the cases through the F/L sizer ..... to square (round out) the case mouths?

Me thinks Doubless & craigster are correct ....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I thought I did size them when I got them 2 years ago. Maybe I forgot?? homer

I will pull em and try it. It is only 20 rounds.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote