THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    New 8mm bullet from Hornady comes through, who need premium bullets anyway!!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 8mm bullet from Hornady comes through, who need premium bullets anyway!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So far this fall I have tested out the new Hornady 195 grain 8mm bullet in my 3200 Hawk. I'm shooting these bullets a chronograped 2900 fps out of my rifle. These are the results.
#1 Black bear approx. 250 pounds two shots from 40 yards. First bullet passes through rib cage and exits on opposite rib cage. About a foot behind the front shoulder. Second shot (wasn't needed, but I shot it when it was almost dark, didn't know if it was alive or dead) Through front shoulders bullet exited.

#2 Mule Deer. 4X4 nicest buck I've ever gotten around here in Oregon. 23 wide and 20 high not big for a lot of people but it is when our mule deer are 1/2 blacktail and 1/2 mule deer. Shot was taken from a lasered 277 yards. Buck was lying down, bullet went through top of back and exited. Final shot taken at 20 yards. through chest cavity up towards back. Bullet exited. The only reason I didn't shoot it in the neck is that I caped it and I'm going to mount the buck. So far I've shot two animals and haven't recovered a bullet yet. My brother shot a much smaller buck with his 280 and 160 grain trophy bonded bullets and recovered one that penatrated less than my hornady. Does that mean my hornady is better than that trophy bonded bullet???? I've got a cow elk tag now that starts this Saturday. I'll keep you updated on the results of the Hornady on such a big animal. I am also planning a trip to go Dall sheep and Grizzly hunting with this rifle, what do you think?

Posts: 60 | Location: Maupin | Registered: 15 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using premium bullets are alot like using a condom. If you're not sure why take the chance? Would I screw with a grizzly without a condom...no way. I'd want to make sure! [Big Grin]

[ 10-16-2003, 22:27: Message edited by: Pathfinder ]

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey pathfinder
I have something I learned when I was in Canada working for an outfitter for three months. One of the guides only carries a 7mm Rem. Mag with 160 grain Sierra Gamekings. To his credit he has 13 Grizzly kills with this rifle. He has never recovered a bullet yet. He said that quite often he is told that a 7mm with 160 Sierra bullets doesn't work for grizzly. His answer is always the same...How many grizzly bears have you killed?...usually the answer is the same...ZERO.
Redside

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try the 195 in my 8mm Mag.....I've also had excellent luck with Sierra's 220 grain GameKing.

Lee Martin
www.singleactions.com

Posts: 380 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redside,
What's a 3200 Hawk?
Have you tried Speer's 200 grain bullets?
I have a Rem 700 Classic in the 8mm Rem Mag. Haven't shot anything other than paper targets with it yet. I'm hoping to get an opportunity for an Elk with it someday.
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
A 3200 Hawk is really just about like the wildcat 8mm Gibbs based on a blown out and shoulder moved forward 30-06 case. It is a line of wildcats created by Fred Zeglin at www.z-hat.com I have a 26 inch barrel on my rifle as I wanted to get maximum velocity from this case. I have used the 200 grain speer some but it does not shoot as well out of my rifle as Hornady bullets do. I have now taken these animals and a spike elk with the now discontinued 220 Hornady and can't really ask for better performance. I'm thinking about using these bullets when I go on my Grizzly hunt after all aren't these the bullets used before animals became bullet proof?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 338 225gr Hornady on moose this year and was more than happy with the results. I placed the shot a little further back than I wanted, but the bullet grazed the lungs, pushed through a full stomach, and out just in front of the hind quarter (the moose was quartering towards me, left side).

A buddy had also taken a moose with the .30 cal 165 gr Hornady's this year. The shot was placed just behind the ear and left a .30 cal dia hole going in, destroyed the skull, vaporized most of the brian, and left a .25 cent hole on the way out. Shot was taken at 16 paces with a .308 Norma.

I used to be a strong supporter of the premiums, but I may have to change my tune. The Hornady's perform in both the accuracy and killing departments.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After seeing the results of the Hornady bullets in other calibers as well as my 8mm it seems to be that we have come over premium bullet-itus. Pretty much it looks like we might as well use a $4.00 premium for a 150 pound deer because he may get away. I've used a few premiums and from my limited experience these bullets tend to kill slower because they don't cause as much damage as a "standard" bullet. All the gun writers write about is using the expensive bullets. The only one that comes to mind and doesn't do this is Craig Bodington. I've read where he uses the 220 Sierra in his 8mm Mag and on the recent Desert Ram hunt used a Sierra again out of his 300 h&h. Does this mean there might be a new push in the gun mags that doesn't advocate premiums so much?
Redside

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

This sounds like a bullet for the redhot 8X68S and the 8mm rem [Big Grin]

I hope they haven't been thrifty when they bonded the bullet [Eek!] [Razz]

/ JOHAN