New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle primer diameter's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if all primers are the same diameter for large rifles. Latley I have been loading Winchester large rifle primers and they seem pretty loose in the primer pockets of once fired Federal 270 brass. I know that some shotgun 209 primers are of a little different diameter. So any type of primer that might be a little tighter in the pocket. I have also had problems with a 240 Weatherby to the point of having to put glue on the primers to keep them from falling out. By the way I use model car glue for keeping them in. Would something work better.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Largest diameter federal,CCI medium and WLRM the smallest...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double check your loads. They may be a tad too hot. For me, loose primers is the first sign that I'm at a max load.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geronimo These are once fired factory loads. I have been loading 57 gr. H 4831sc with 130 gr. bullets. This not hot at all but thanks for the responce. I will try some Federal's next.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve found Winchesters to be tight in somes cases and CCIs loose then the next lot had them switch places. I think it just depends on the side of tolerance they were built to on the day that lot of primers was run.
I`d question any cases though that required primers to be "GLUED" in the pockets. I`ve never had a case that wouldn`t retain a primer. (Knock on wood) If you can`t get the primers to stay in the pockets I`d try another brand and if the problem still existed I`d dump the cases. The fact they are once fired factory makes no difference. The primers were held properly in the original loading and the case should be capable of do it still if the pockets haven`t enlarged. Your eyesight is more improtant than a case IMO.........

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI have found winchester primers to be .002-.003 smaller than others and have had one come out of a new Remington case after a short ride to the range. I installed a Federal 210 and the case is still going after several rounds with good snug fit from everything but Winchester LR. remington, Federal and CCI work fine in the New Remington cases. I measeured all the primer pockets and found them to be the same. A few of the winchester primers were the same size as federals but about every 4 th one was a lot smaller.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smilerwith America shifting to third world mentality it is a wonder anything fits or works anymore. thumbdown Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a case of (new) Federal Gold Match brass having excessively large primer pockets. It is possible the problem is in the brass as opposed to the primers...
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerCall Federal for the primer pocket measurments. They have made a few tryin gout bigger ptimers but don't think they were to be on the market

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's not get all excited here.

Recent lots of WLR primers use plain brass cups that are not coated with nickel (as had been the past practice). Winchester sorta forgot that the nickel coating added a small amount of diameter to the primer cup, so that if they wanted the cup to fit the same as one with the coating, they needed to increase the diameter of the cup. Of course, since all of this is done on existing machinery that ain't gonna happen. So, they just sold them as the came off of the machine, which makes them a slightly loose fit, particularly if the primer pocket is on the large side of tolerance.

I have a large lot of these "undersized" WLR primers, so I reserve them for use in new or once-fired brass. With multi-fired brass, the fit can be so loose as to be doubtful, but a nickeled primer from another manufacturer usually seats with adequate resistance.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 257 Rock:
I was wondering if all primers are the same diameter for large rifles. Latley I have been loading Winchester large rifle primers and they seem pretty loose in the primer pockets of once fired Federal 270 brass. I know that some shotgun 209 primers are of a little different diameter. So any type of primer that might be a little tighter in the pocket. I have also had problems with a 240 Weatherby to the point of having to put glue on the primers to keep them from falling out. By the way I use model car glue for keeping them in. Would something work better.

Different manufacturers have different sizes/tolerances on their primers. In my experience, CCIs run big, Win run small. If your primers fall out, however, you may have another issue and I would investigate further before I used glue.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerNothing wrong with the cases just small primers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am experiencing the same thing with my brass primer relationship. Winchester 270 brass and their primers, some cases the primers seat real easy. In Remington brass the same primers seat just right. But none have fallen out and I use 58 grains of H4831 under a 150 grain Nosler paetion with the WLR primer. I got them at a gunshow but the next 1000 will be CCI again.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dump the Winchester primers. I've had problems with their fit in the pocket and have had loose primers as well even falling out after having been fired. Try CCI or Federals.

Posts: 50 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. Bought some Federal Primers now all is right with my reloading world. Went back and measured the primers that wouldn't stay in the cases and found them to be about a .001 smaller than other winchester primers I measured. Federals were a little larger and much more constant in diameter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are having primers fall out after being fired then your load is too hot. My primers all take the normal amount of force tp remove them after firing as the pressure resizes them to fit the case tightly.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote