Find
Notify
Tools

Hodgdon extreme
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
I would like to hear some opinions on Hodgdon extreme powders.

Do you think they make a difference compared to what else is avalable?

Or do you think it is just marketing hype?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search here, there have been several posts in the past with data that show the Hodgdon powders show little velocity change in temperature extremes -vs- others like R22 or the IMR line. How much of a difference this actually makes depends on many factors, for most 150 yrd hunting shots the animal won't be able to tell, for benchrest or long distance shooting..it does make a difference.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "extreme" powders usually do better vs. temperature than other powders, but not nearly as well as Hodgdon would like you to believe.

In the 308, Varget gives me a flat zero tempco. In the 223, it is more temperature sensitive than commercial 'military' ammo.

In the 7.62x54R, H4350's change with temperature is almost exactly the same as IMR 4350.

Sometimes it works great, sometimes it works fair, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. It's never worse than the competition, though, which is a good thing.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I was remembering working up a load at 25*F that seemed good to go.

when I shot them at 40*F they blew the primers. Mad

This was with IMR 4198 in a 458 win and 600 barnes bullets.

Now I make it a point to work up loads in at least 50* weather since hunting season temp is rarely above 60* .

I'll shoot the rest of the 600 barnes next time it gets down to -50*F. This last winter only got down to -48*f.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I would like to hear some opinions on Hodgdon extreme powders.

Do you think they make a difference compared to what else is avalable?

Or do you think it is just marketing hype?

To me, there is a big difference. When working up loads for the 45-70, I started with the old favorite Elmer-Keith powder IMR3031. In the morning, when it was cold, my rifle would go bang, later in the day when it warmed up my rifle would go BANG. My Chrony showed a 100fps difference for a 40*F swing.

So I tried H322. I couldn't measure a velocity difference over temperature with the 45-70. Oh I'm sure there was some difference, but it was within the error of my Chronograph. Now it's BOOM in the morning and BOOM in the afternoon.

So I'm a believer in the extreme series for the 45-70. My favorite load is currently using H4198, and it Chrony's the same.

I've heard that Ramshot powders behave just as good as Hodgdon's, but Ramshot isn't stocked much where I live.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anecdote involving .375 Weatherby and 30 degree to 50 degree F:

IMR 4350: 2 fps/degree F
RL-15: 1 fps/degree F
H4350 Extreme: 0.5 fps/degree F

I tend to believe the Extreme line is about the best for insensitivity to temperature changes.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was remembering working up a load at 25*F that seemed good to go.

when I shot them at 40*F they blew the primers. Mad

Yeah, I've been burned in the same way by H4831 and H870 before--well, I didn't blow primers but 3300+ from a 180 in the 300 Win is a bit much!

Really I shouldn't say I was burned by the powders, but more accurately I was negligent for not taking this variable into account. Nevertheless, I'd like to minimize it as much as possible--part of my attraction to the extreme line. I haven't done enough testing to verify if they're all they're cracked up to be, but I already know other powders don't do so well....

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Are you look at just Hodgdon powder? Or are you looking for an "Extreme" type powder?

If you are looking for an "Extreme" type powder, all of Norma and VihtVuori is "Extreme" type powder.

Alliant powder that is "made in Sweden" is made by Norma.

Hodgdon "Extreme" type powder is good, but I think Norma and VihtaVuori is better for big temperature changes.

From the testing that I have done with Hodgdon "Extreme", VihtaVuori , and the Alliant RL type powders, velocity is a little slower and you do use less powder.

I hope this helps and save you and all that read this some time?

Bill.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Alliant powder that is "made in Sweden" is made by Norma."

Actually, Alliant's current Reloder series includes 7, 10x, 15, 19, 22 and 25, all made by Nexplo Bofors in Sweden. It is no longer a part of Akzo Nobel.

VihtaVuori is made in Finland and I find it to be temp insensitive and clean burning.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
Sorry I thought Norma was part of Nexplo Bofors. I agree VihtVuori is very clean burning, and I use it more then any other powder.I have a few Benchrest friends and that is all (VihtVuori) they use.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote