New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 varmint bullets
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I bought a 270 WSM recentlty and have decided to try to work up a varmint load. I have the sierra 90 grain varminter (3600 fps) and the 110 grain hormady V-MAX (3350). They both shoot around an inch. Since they both show about the same accuracy I can't decided which to work up further for accuracy. I'm leaning towards the 110 becasue it will carry more enery. I will bw hunting from squirrels up to coyotes. Does anyone have any experience with these two bullet types?

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 110 gr bullet @ 3350 fps??? Are you sure that will be enough rifle for squirrels ?? In my part of the world squirrels live in trees. Shooting at them often means shooting at an elevated angle.A 110 gr bullet @ 3350 will travel quite a distance before it comes down.Are you sure you don,t have a bit of a safety concern here? As for the 110 gr Hornady bullet. I have shot exactly 1 coyote with this bullet in a 270 win. What I had left was a head and a tail connected by a bloody little strip of hide with a couple feet attached.Tracking was not a problem.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a .270 Winchester (the old-fashioned "non-magnum"!) a lot -- wore the barrel out as a matter of fact.

I would be inclined to stick with the 90gr Sierra -- very explosive, and in my experience it seemed less likely to richochet.

There won't be much left of any coyote-sized critters you shoot with either bullet but the Sierra bullet is particularly destructive... [Eek!]

jpb

[ 10-05-2002, 16:49: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote