New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullet for 7RM
 Login/Join

<Igor>
posted
What bullets are good for a 7RM hunting deer at ranges from 30 yards to 300 yards? I guess you would need a pretty tough premium bullet as the velocities are high or will standard bullets such as the Sierra Game King work? I would like to keep meat destruction at an acceptable limit. I am looking for a very accurate bullet as well.

What would you chose for moose and what would you chose as a "works for both bullet"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is currently my favourite topic, so if you ever find a definite answer, let me know!

I have only used 150 grain Nosler PT, works very well, excellent accuracy, velocity and penetration on the deer I have shot. I don�t know about killing power compared to other bullets, as I have only tried this one so far. It ruins a lot of meat though, so I am still searching for the perfect combination..

I am currently developing a load for my rifle with the 160 grain Swift A-Frame, since the Nosler gave lots of bloodshot meat. I definitely want a bonded core bullet, if the A-Frame doesn�t work (that is, if it isn�t accurate) I will try the scirocco. Heard rumours about a bonded core Nosler being on the verge of introduction, will be worth trying.

Tron

Posts: 210 | Location: Oslo, Norway | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'll take the Hornady 154 gr SP. I have used them since 78 with great results from 20 yds out to whatever.If I were going to anything else or larger game it would be a Nosler Partition.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer the standard bullets are just fine. The Sierra 140's and the Speer 130 work well. Another bullet that I like is the 150 gr Rem Pt'd Corelokt.

I am not concerned about bloodshot meat at all. My first priority is aiming well and getting the animal to stay on the ground. I will take as many shots as I can with the most effective bullet.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 150 nosler BT. It puts em in the freezer consistently. I don't worry about losing a pound or two of bloodshot meat, just so they don't go anywhere.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
139 gr Hornady....20+ deer and never had to shoot twice. It also is a 1 holer in my gun. In fact, only one ever ran, the rest boom flop right on the spot! First buck I Took was maybe 20 yds. took the heart out he went sideways and never kicked. Shot a nice 10 point at a measured 410 yds in TEXAS. He went down in a heep. The one that ran was already running shot at a severe quartering angle. The bullet impacted on a rib took out part of the liver and one lung and exited in two pieces. He traveled maybe 50 yards after the shot.
Sorry if I got long winded but I believe this is more than enough bullet for whitetails.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Igor>
posted
The Hornandy bullets sounds interesting. Pretty cheap as well. I would guess the 162 grain BTSP would be a great bullet. If even the 139 grain version holds up the 162 might even work for moose as the velocity would be kepst down to around 3000 fps?. Anyone know the BC of that bullet? It has a crimp right? Are you all using that crimp or do you seat it close to the lands as on other bullets?

What causes blood shot meat BTW? High velocity or fragmenting bullets?

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd try a 160 gr. bullet for moose and deer. It still has high velocity(2900-3100 fps)for flat trajectory, and has enough weight and sectional density for penetration on moose.

Nosler Partitions are always a good choice, performing well both on game and paper.

Another option is a lighter Barnes X bullet. They don't need the extra weight for penetration, due to the 100% weight retention. I've shot 130 gr. XBT's @ 3420 fps, and I would use that load on moose with no worries. Some people claim they won't shoot, but I've found them to be alright. You HAVE to get all the copper fouling out of the barrel before shooting them, for best results. I used Barnes CR-10, works great. Also, seat them .050" off the lands. That is what I did, and they are plenty accurate for hunting at normal ranges. A 130 gr.-150 gr. would be good for all-round use on deer and moose in a 7mm Mag.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
 -
This group, which measured somewhere around 0.303-inches for 5-shots at 200-yards.
It was fired using a Ruger 77R in 7mm Remington Magnum with Leupold 12x optics
Case: Remington
Primer: CCI-200
Powder: 64.6 grains of RL-22
Bullet: Sierra 168 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity: 2943 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

My second choice is:
Bullet: Nosler 175 Grain Partition
Powder: 63.2 grains of RL-22
Primer: Remington 9-1/2 M
Case: Remington
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Velocity: 2903 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote