Find
Notify
Tools

New tool
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Just got through using an Innovative Technologies Belted Magnum Collet resizing die. Larrywillis.com
Super simple and it does what it says it will do!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using that thing for years! It does work great and it will make your belted magnum brass last much longer.

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will make your belted mag ammo fit the chamber. Without it I had trouble getting the 7RM ammo in the 1885. With the tool the ammo drops into the chamber. I don't load belted without it.

Posts: 36 | Location: greenville, sc | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks and sounds great. However does it fit any single stage press? Thanks

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minkman:
Looks and sounds great. However does it fit any single stage press? Thanks

I would think so. It fits my LEE Classic.
YOu just thread it in from below instead of through the top. Once on put on the locking collar and adjust.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different brands of belted brass have different "headspace"...the distance from the base of the brass to the top edge of the belt...I've measured ~0.214" to ~0.222", enough to cause problems with brass life it you haven't adjusted your sizing die correctly or mix brands.

I've also found differences between different lots of brass of the same brand.

I've checked out that tool and thought it was a great idea..."Why didn't I think of that"??? Confused

Another way is just to grind a few thou off the bottom of your sizing die to achieve the same results...MUCH cheaper in my case as I have the tools to do so...OR to find the brass brand that fits your rifle and DON'T MIX IT UP.

Making a gauge to measure the belt variation is simple enough to do and is as easy to use as the Hornady headspace gauges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Serious question...If you have fired the round and have a case that fits your chamber, why would you not just neck size it?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a collet magnum resizing die from Innovative Technologies for years - they work great. What the vendor claims regarding resizing belted magnum cases is true.

Cases continue to expand with each firing and eventually one must resize them, or they will stick in your chamber. Belted cases pose issues with complete resizing.

Read the vendors website - he explains.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by larrys:

Serious question...If you have fired the round and have a case that fits your chamber, why would you not just neck size it?

Ummmmm, exactly...

Been shooting and reloading belted magnums for 40 years. Somehow I have avoided this problem. Just don't bump the shoulder back on every reloading and neck size and trim as needed. Pressure ring is generally not a issue unless you have a tight chamber or crappy brass. Anneal every 5 or so reloads and then start culling bad cases thereafter. Generally get 15 or more reloads on quality brass.

Pretty simple.

If you want problems, resize and bump the shoulder on a non-belted case...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This device sizes the fraction just above the belt.

Reloading is one thing, handloading quite another. Once my brass is weight sorted, primer pockets and flash holes uniformed I want to use it as many times as possible.

I have gotten up to 20 reloads using Winchester brass in my 7mm RM using partial full length sizing and this collet die.

Before using this after 5 or 6 loadings some brass would get hard to extrac because of bulging right at the belt that normal sizing dies wont touch.

I don't like neck sizing because eventually the case will grow enough to get too tight then you have to bump the shoulder..... I always bump shoulders during PFL sizing my aim is for 1 to 2 thousandths bump on accuracy stuff.

All Big bores get full length.....

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
This device sizes the fraction just above the belt.

Reloading is one thing, handloading quite another. Once my brass is weight sorted, primer pockets and flash holes uniformed I want to use it as many times as possible.

I have gotten up to 20 reloads using Winchester brass in my 7mm RM using partial full length sizing and this collet die.

Before using this after 5 or 6 loadings some brass would get hard to extrac because of bulging right at the belt that normal sizing dies wont touch.

I don't like neck sizing because eventually the case will grow enough to get too tight then you have to bump the shoulder..... I always bump shoulders during PFL sizing my aim is for 1 to 2 thousandths bump on accuracy stuff.

All Big bores get full length.....

This is exactly what happens, especially if you load at or near maximum, and you want to continue reloading your brass. This "tool" works as claimed by the vendor.

This is what the says...

"Belted magnum cartridges have been around for over 50 years, and most shooters that reload them are familiar with the case bulge problem that occurs "just above" the belt. This usually happens after just 2 or 3 firings - wasting perfectly good cases. Many shooters have discovered this problem when they find their handloads begin to stick in their chamber, or when they no longer chamber at all.

Unlike non-belted cases, the belt prevents conventional full length dies from traveling far enough down the case. This limits the amount of resizing, and brass is plowed rearward. The brass builds up just above the belt at each reloading, and cases expand. Neck sizing dies don't bump the shoulder back or resize the tapered case wall. The best solution is to full length resize accurately, and use this collet die to reduce case width.

Our patented Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die solves this problem and has other unique features. The top of this die is a case width gauge that shows when a little "extra" case resizing is required. This resizing die is used to eliminate the case bulge above the belt, after using your full length (or) neck sizing die. Our collet die ensures that your belted magnum ammo will always chamber properly and your cases are now able to last for up to 20 firings, even when using the hottest handloads. Our resizing die uses a collet that fits over the cartridge case, until it bottoms against the belt. The case is then pressed into the sizing die. The collet allows your case to go farther into the die where it only reduces the area "just above" the belt.

This ONE die and collet is universal and works on ALL of the popular belted magnum calibers including: .257 Weatherby Magnum, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .264 Winchester Magnum, .270 Weatherby Magnum, 7 x 61 Sharpe & Hart, 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm STW, .300 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Weatherby Magnum, .308 Norma Magnum, 8mm Remington Magnum, .338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby Magnum, .350 Remington Magnum, .358 Norma Magnum, .375 H&H Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, .458 Lott Magnum and several belted wildcat cartridges. There are no extra collets to buy when resizing different calibers. The U.S. Secret Service was one of our first customers to purchase this product.

There are now over 4,000 shooters using our unique collet die. In the past, the high cost of manufacturing this die required us to build a waiting list before starting the next production run. At this time, these dies are in stock. So . . . . if you would like to get one, don't wait too long."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimless and belted cases form an identical bulge at the pressure ring (the point just in front of the case head where the brass is thick enough that it can resist the internal pressure and not be forced against the chamber walls like the thinner brass forward of it.) The higher the pressure, the further aft the pressure ring will appear. If you load to unsustainable pressures in either type case you will eventually have difficulty in rechambering the case due to the expansion (and insufficient contraction) of the pressure ring.

The only conventional full length sizing dies which ordinarily touch the pressure ring are the special "small base" dies. Regular full length sizing dies, regardless of whether for a belted or rimless case, do not resize the pressure ring (unless your chamber is extra large in diameter at that point, which many belted chambers are.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had this problem with rimless cases and dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the IT die and his little gauge and stand combo 2 or 3 years ago.

I use the stand and gauge but I havent used the die. I have it on the shelf and had the idea I would use and learn more about it when I needed to be more stingy on my brass use. But I am going to have to set it up and give it a go now.

Are there any other "tips" on using it ? Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
TexKD,

No learning curve at all. Just use Imperial Sizing Wax on the case and the outside of the collet. Flat end of the collet touches the belt of the case. Only major thing is that the die screws into the press from below, then you add the locking ring once you have the depth set.
Below is from their website
quote:
Operating Instructions

This collet die is universal and it works on all belted magnum cartridges (except 224, 240, 378 and 460 Weatherby). There are no extra collets required. Before each use, be sure that the die and collet are absolutely clean - especially the slots on the collet.

Always use a good high-pressure lubricant on the outside of the collet, and on your shell casing. We strongly recommend using "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" for best results. It is easy to use, it's not sticky and it is very popular with reloaders - because it works. Don't use any type of liquid lube.

This collet die should only be used on cartridge cases that have already been resized with a full length (or) neck sizing die. Always headspace on the shoulder, not on the belt. We have had belted magnum cases last more than 20 firings with maximum loads. However, always examine the inside of your cases for signs of brass stretching just above the belt.

The "top" of this die serves as a case width gauge that will identify your oversize cases. The cases that don't fit inside should be resized with the collet die. This avoids overworking the brass and insures a perfect fit in your chamber.

Cases that are fired repeatedly without ever using the collet resizing die could swell beyond recovery. Always check fired cases to see if they will drop freely into the top of the die. Remember that the size of different rifle chambers can vary considerably.

Note that the collet is slightly tapered. The small end is identified by a 45 degree cut on that end. Slide the collet over the case and be sure that it contacts the belt. The small end of the collet must face the mouth of the case.

Remove the locking collar and insert the die (from the bottom) into your press as far as it will go. Adjust the die all the way into the press, as far as it will go. Then replace the locking collar on top of the die. The ram of your press (with shell holder inserted) should have a small clearance under the die - if possible. This setting will allow you to resize the expansion ring on your case (just above the belt) to .510" or as needed.

If resizing seems to require too much pressure, withdraw the case, rotate it, and press it into the die again. Be sure the collet stays seated against the belt. The collet can easily be separated from the case by inverting it, holding it against the shell holder and carefully use your press to push the case out of your collet and into the die.

If you have any questions about the proper use of your belted magnum collet resizing die, contact Larry Willis at Innovative Technologies at it@mpinet.net (or) call at 407-695-2685.

If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rusty. I will have to give it a try soon.

One day we will have to take a drive off down to Tips - just because I havent been in a while.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Thank you Rusty. I will have to give it a try soon.

One day we will have to take a drive off down to Tips - just because I havent been in a while.

You do know he closed his shop? He's working for Blaser in San Antonio.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No - I did not know that. I hadn't been in a while and I had not talked to him either in maybe 2 years. Darn.