Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Has anyone out there got a 7mm Weatherby and what kind of accuracy are you getting. Iam considering rechambering my Remi 700 I have in 7mm Rem mag and was wondering what experience/loads anyone has?

From what I can gether the Weatherby gives similar performance to the stw but is slightly shorter in length etc

Many thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case capacity of the 7 mm Rem and 7mm Weatherby are for all intents and purposes identical. You'd probably find more variance between different manufacturers than cartridges. The 7 mm Rem Mag is usually loaded to lower pressures than the Weatherby in commercial applications, and many reloading manuals actually list virtually identical velocities with identical barrel lengths [as expected, given case capacity]. Standard Weatherby barrels are free-bored, allowing the projectile a little jump before engaging the rifling lands, and is said to increase velocity. The benefits of the venturie effect, due to Weatherby case design is up for debate. In theory then, you could simply free-bore your 7mm Rem Mag, load to higher pressures [same action and dimensions], and reap all of those Weatherby benefits.
As for the duplicating STW performance; I don't believe you'd notice the difference. The STW is a little faster/flatter shooting, with a bigger case capacity. You get to burn up much more propellant, and barrel life, in the process. If you're not going to reload, the sad news is the commercial 7mm STW does not seem to be loaded to its full potential.
I think you'd be better off working up a good, repeatably accurate, handload for your 7mm Rem Mag. At any rate it might provide more enjoyment in the experimentation process.

Albatross

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't go to the trouble of rechambering a 7mag to 7Wby. Maybe 7 grs of capacity. Higher cost ammo if you shoot factory. Plus I wouldn't hang my hat on the WBY published velocities.

I agree with Albatross load the Rem up to Wby pressure and be done with it. The Rem Max pressure is 61,000 the Wby 65,000. The 7mag factory ammo has always been underloaded factory, STW is closer to what the 7mag could be(in my opinion).

Looking at my Nosler manual is list the velocities as the same. If you want to get higher velocity from the 7mm then look to the STW or (can't believe I'm saying this) the RUM.

The cost to do the work should be basically the same.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These two gentlemen have given you good advice. There's not much difference between the 7mm Rem Mag and the Wby version. Weatherby's published velocities are overly optimistic, in my opinion. The Weatherby factory ammo that I have chroned in my 270 Wby Mag Mark V chronos about 100fps less than what Weatherby publishes. Their factory ammo is also loaded way too hot for my taste. Signs of way more pressure than I am comfortable with in the Wby rifles I have fired with Wby ammo.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thankyou gents and yes that is excellent excellent advice and many thanks. You have made my mind up without doubt to just keep my 7mm Rem mag. I am wanting to shoot out to 700 yards to take deer and I think the rem mag is easily capable to meet this criteria. I think I was getting seduced by the "more power" thing but obviously the weatherby is not the way to go by the sounds of it.

I am going to stick with my rem mag and concentrate on getting competent out to those ranges.

Thanks again

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't rechamber a 700 7RM to 7WEA unless the bbl is 26" at least. The weatherby will give you 100 fps on the 7RM. Run the calcs through a ballistic calculator and you find the difference is there, but may not be enough to get excited about.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote