New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short range from 7mm...?
 Login/Join

<RE>
posted
How do the 175gr. bullets out of the 7mm mag work on short shots such as less then 100yds? spacificly 175 SBT. I will be using them this year in brush country for whitetail and Black bear, unless u people change my mind. Thanx

My Load:
Sierra 175gr. SBT
Rem. 9.5M primer
62.3gr. H-4831
Right around 2800FPS

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Perfect........

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree,

PERFECT......

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well kill any deer or bear that you hit them properly with.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No it's to soft
The 7mmRM needs a premium bullet if you want the bear to drop. Of course the Matchking pack think this hunting bullet is enough since they usually shoots headshots on 300yards with there Mtch . But for normal hunting situation there is some bones in larger animal such as the femur that the Sierra will not pass. I have blown up two 175grSp on moose with the 7mmRM (about 30yards) after that I loaded the 7mmRM BarnesX 160gr.
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
There is one in every bunch....I wonder what everybody used before the GREAT X came out.?????????Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!I broke both shoulder's on a black bear a few year's with a 100gr Sierra Boat tail out of a 243................

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

[This message has been edited by Boyd Heaton (edited 05-12-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not use a Sierra 170gr round nosed bullet? Out to a couple of hundred yards, they are as flat as a spitzer and they kill like the Hammer of Thor.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Are you using the Sierra 175-grain PSPBT? These are pretty tough bullets, in my experience. They will give adequate penetration, even at 7mm Mag. speeds at short range on whiotetails. I've used them at ranges as short as 15 yards, and they sailed right through the deer!! If you are talking about someone else's 175 bullets, they are probably even better than the Sierras for game shooting!! I now use the Nosler partition 175's in both the 7X57mm and 7mm rem. Mag. for all hunting. These are superb. I recommend never handicapping your HV rifles with round or flat-nosed bullets, because you never know if you will perhaps get a long shot across a field or down a power-line cut!! I once hunted Elk in the Belt mountains of Montana with a local expert there. This genius was a "gunsmith". He was using a 7mm Magnum rifle he had made, and using his own MAXIMUM handloads with..you guessed it!! 175-grain ROUNDNOSE bullets. When I suggested that the bullet configuration he had chosen might be less than ideal for his rifle, he had no idea what I was talking about!! Good luck!!

------------------
Larry