THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .223 with Varget & Hornady V-Max 50Gr - Min & Max

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 with Varget & Hornady V-Max 50Gr - Min & Max
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For some reason I'm having a problem finding any exact receipes on this load. I want to load a .223 with Remington Brass, winchester primers, Hodgin Varget powder & the neat little 50 Grain Hornady VMAX bullet. What should be my min & max grains on the Varget powder?

Also what type of velocities might I expect shooting them in AR with a 24" heavy Varmit barrel Smiler

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Try this Hodgedon's Site... It's a good place to start.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
I seem to have better luck with the 55 grain Vmax when im useing Varget out of my 223. My manual also shows about the same volicties. I dont have a crono but if they are close to the same speed its better to go with the 55 grain for the higher B.C.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There are no "exact" loads for your rifle. All data is exact only in the rifle it was developed in and changes with every new component lot, or rifle it is fired in.
Try Mikes link, and use the data for the 50 gr bullet listed at the min powder charge and work up. Stop when you find either the accuracy, or velocity you want, or that you have hit max in your rifle.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
There are no "exact" loads for your rifle. All data is exact only in the rifle it was developed in and changes with every new component lot, or rifle it is fired in.
Try Mikes link, and use the data for the 50 gr bullet listed at the min powder charge and work up. Stop when you find either the accuracy, or velocity you want, or that you have hit max in your rifle.

Right on, Joe. thumb

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
When I started out with my .223 I also went to the well and was using Varget. Being unsatisfied with the velocity and accruacy I followed seafire's recommendation in using R7 and have been well pleased with the results. I was looking for a load with the 40 g. Nosler BT's but you might want to give it a go with the R7. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ironguts, I use a lot of different powders in 223 varmint rifles...

As Teancum said above.. the 40 grainers and RL 7 are a favorite with that bullet...

However, if you are set on using Varget and a 50 grain V max.... no worries there...

For Varget in a 223, regardless of the bullet weight being 40 grains to 60 grains, I use ONE load of varget 27.5 grains.... you will find in the reload manuals that 27.5 grains is recommended with 55 grain bullets... and the case won't hold much more...

The powder I burn the most of in 223s tho is Blue Dot! 40 grain Sierra HPs and 50 grain TNTs are my two favorite replacements since Winchester's 46 gr HPs went way up in price...Both are super accurate, with a charge of 14.5 grains of Blue Dot...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote