New
Find
Notify
Tools

Actual Temperature Of Powder Gasses?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any data avaliable on this? I'm curious to know just how hot the actual temps are that exist in the barrel before the bullet exits the muzzle. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I belive average initial flsh temperature is approximately 300 F and average peak pressure temperature is approximately 6000 F.

fyi: barrel steel melts around 3000 F.

Yes, data is available but I don't have a specific source.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billt:
Is there any data avaliable on this? I'm curious to know just how hot the actual temps are that exist in the barrel before the bullet exits the muzzle. Bill T.

I e-mailed the folks at Hodgdon about this a few months ago,and their reponse was that both their ball and stick powders produce approximately the same temperatures when burned in full pressure cartridge loads...i.e., in the vicinity of 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

Please note, that does NOT mean the burning powder will necessarily heat any part of the barrel to that temperature. How hot the surface of the barrel exposed to the burnng powder will get depends on the duration of the burn as well as its temperature.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just amazing how fast the heat transfer takes place considering the bullet is only in the barrel for what amounts to milliseconds. In my .338-378 Weatherby Magnum, the barrel can become almost too hot to touch in just 3 rounds. Granted it's consuming 100+ grains of powder per shot, but the temperature prevails for such a short amount of time. Once the bullet leaves the barrel the heat and pressure are dissapated. I've noticed in comparing my Smith & Wesson Model 63 .22 LR revolver to my Ruger MK II Automatic Pistol, the revolver heats up much quicker because the brass remains in the chamber, where as in the auto pistol it's promptly ejected before it can transfer it's heat to the gun itself. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote