New
Find
Notify
Tools

OAL on 300 Win Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reloading last evening and began to load a 180 gr swift aframe. I had turned up the stem a lot to hopefully assure not seating it too deep. Well I did seat it to 3.20 and know the recommended is 3.34. Question can this round be used just as a "fouler" or being this short a danger to fire in the rifle?

I knew there was a difference in 180 gr a frame and 180 gr Nosler E-Tip but had no idea it was almost .14" or about 2 1/2 turns on the seater stem. That E-tip is one loooog sleek bullet.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different? yes. Dangeous? I seriously doubt it. I'm sure the chicken littles will scream but how hot is your overall load? If you are loading so hot that something that minor could tip you over the edge, please don't sit next to me at the rifle range. ( Big Grin)
If I was you, I'd be curious to see where it fell in relation to a "normal" round. That is to say, I would shoot a group with the bullets seated to your desired length and then fire the short one. Or vice versa.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Loaded behind 75 gr of RL22 so it is approaching max load. May just practice breaking more RCBS bullet pullers and dismantle the round.

I was interested as you mentioned in where it might fall in the group. Will make a decision and get by myself on the range if I decide to pull the trigger.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote