New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Texan Reloaders?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know anything about a texan 256-C? Are they good reloaders, what are they worth, who sells them? Stuff like that. A guy around here nas one for sale and I was wondering if I was getting a fair price on it.

The answer to any question you have is in the Bible.

Without the mistakes of the past, there would be no wisdom for the future.

Posts: 79 | Location: Duncan, NC | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
why don't you look in your bible? wave

Sorry couldn't resist.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's OK, I have pretty thick skin.

The answer to any question you have is in the Bible.

Without the mistakes of the past, there would be no wisdom for the future.

Posts: 79 | Location: Duncan, NC | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they have been out of business for years. i have one of their presses & can't give the thing away.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
IMHO the only one worth a damn is the model M shotgun press.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering if I was getting a fair price on it.

They sold for around $45 new. Only way I would own a "C" shaped press (when I can pick up a used Rockchucker for under $50) is if someone gave it to me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about them by model number but they were as good as any of their similar competitors when they were made.

If it's a compound toggle model, use it. If it's a simple toggle model use it for decapping or seating or expanding, etc., all things that don't require a lot of lever pressure.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
I don't know about them by model number but they were as good as any of their similar competitors when they were made.

If it's a compound toggle model, use it. If it's a simple toggle model use it for decapping or seating or expanding, etc., all things that don't require a lot of lever pressure.

Jim, not trying to quarrel, but my experience with them was different. I bought one new in the 1960's. At the same time I had an RCBS and a Herter's. The only one which ever gave me trouble was the Texan.

I note that you may have had that experience too, in that you suggest not using the single toggle ones for anything which takes much lever pressure.

If a person was resizing cases which required even slightly more than usual handle pressure, the handle would often break off right where the threads end and the smooth handle body begins. I broke the handle off four times before I decided "the heck with it" and sold the press. None of my other single-stage presses ever did that.

Today I might use one if I ws going to reload mainly small straight-wall cases, but I sure wouldn't if I was gonna re-size magnum bottle-necked brass.

Now, of course that may have just been my particular press, but I wouldn't take that chance again.

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert, I bow to your greater experence with Texans. I never owned one but used to shoot with a fellow who did. He was satisfied and I based my comments on that.

I remember they didn't stay in the market long but thought the were bought by a bigger outfit; maybe not?

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One of the problems wirth getting older is that you tend to forget things (like information) that you don't use a lot. I used to know what happened to the Texan firm, and why, but now I don't.

One thing about the Texan presses, at least the ones I am familiar with....though they looked almost exactly like their competetors, they were slightly smaller in virtually every dimension. That, of course, is probably why they were more frail.

Anyway, if a guy is gonna load pistol cartridges on a single stage press, I think they would do just fine. Likewise, if his "thing" was doing .32-40 or .38-55 cartridges which weren't loaded hot (and therefore not expanded drastically)...

But for other than maybe the .22 Hornet, there aren't a whole lot of other rounds I would feel secure using the Texan for, and to my mind that means I'd choose something else if I wanted value for my money.

Hopefully, we'll hear from a dozen or so members who have Texans, love them, and have never had a lick of trouble with them. They ARE a very nicely finished little press, apparently carefully made, so it would be real nice to hear that mine was just the bad exception which proves the good rule.

Best wishes all.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote