New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thought it would never happen to me....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
STUCK CASE--- Augh! I would glance at others comment on how they would stick a case in their dies. Now that I am the one with a stuck case. Help. I glanced back a couple pages looking for one of "those people" that did this. What are my options?

OOPS!

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: 13 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a Lee die the decaping stem may be stong enough to knock the case out.

Other wise make sure the primer is out.
Get a 1/4-20 tap and #7 drill. Drill out the primer pocket and tap it.
Lubricate the threads on a grade 8 1/4 -20 cap screw. Stack large washers abound the case head. Stack some small washers under the screw head and on top of the large washers and tighten it up.
If you use a reasonable amount of care you can pull the old case out by tightening the cap screw.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
did the case seperate?
put it in the freezer for a while it may fall out, try hydraulics. plug the primer hole and hit it with a blast of air.
install a zerk grease fittin and pump it full of grease.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will try. thank you

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: 13 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a tool to remove it - "stuck case remover". Simple to use, does not hurt the die... Who knows, you may need it again in the future, it happens to the best of us... Wink

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449340

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

I like a 5/16" tap/bolt for the larger cases, but the principle is the same. A 5/8" nut makes a nice bushing under the washer(s). You can buy the kit from RCBS for an inflated price, but you've probably got everything it takes already in your workshop cabinet. If not, that's what neighbors are for!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a tool to remove it - "stuck case remover". Simple to use, does not hurt the die... Who knows, you may need it again in the future, it happens to the best of us...

This is the "real deal" for this suggestion.

Lubricate the threads on a grade 8 1/4 -20 cap screw. Stack large washers abound the case head. Stack some small washers under the screw head and on top of the large washers and tighten it up.
If you use a reasonable amount of care you can pull the old case out by tightening the cap screw.

I believe there are only two kinds of reloaders, those who have stuck a case in their dies or those who will.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:

I like a 5/16" tap/bolt for the larger cases, but the principle is the same. A 5/8" nut makes a nice bushing under the washer(s). You can buy the kit from RCBS for an inflated price, but you've probably got everything it takes already in your workshop cabinet. If not, that's what neighbors are for!

I fully agree with the larger tapped hole in larger cases. I have stripped the 1/4-20 once.
That was a .223 stuck by a friend. To salvage his die I pulled hard enough on the decapping rod to unscrew the button. Then I poured the case full of Cerrosafe and knocked the case out with a steel punch through the top.
It is rare pull the rim off of a large case unless you pick out a sloppy shell holder or compeltely forget to lube the case.
The usual makers of the small brass horse shoes are the .223 size cases.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote