Find
Notify
Tools

>223 Ruger #1 performnce
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
BOOM The Ruger #1 has probably 100 rounds thru it. These are the loads it digested yesterday. Wind 25 to 35 MPH. with gusts up to 45 MPH. Had to chain down Oehler.

All loads - - - -27.5gr. Acc 2520 lightly compressed, Black Hills match cases.FC 200 primers, Just touches lands and than some.

• 55gr. Varmint Nite Mare Extreme, oal=2.265" , 3350 to 3371 fps., 3" group @ 300 yds.

• 55gr. FBHP. Berger, oal=2.285", mild clean, 3352 to 3381 fps. 3/8" group at 50 yds.great at 300 yds.A little unburned powder in barrel.

• 52gr. FBHP. Berger, OAL=2.295", 3404 to 3442 fps., 4 shot 3/8" group at 50 yds. Deadly at 300 yds.

Would have shot more but the wind got to me. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roger-- is your #1 stock? or have you had to do any work to the forearm, trigger?

Posts: 26 | Location: Wy | Registered: 02 January 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roger, shooting a Ruger #1 in .223 is as good as it gets.

I had a Ruger #1 in 223 with 26" barrel, Kepplinger set trigger, and 8x32x44 scope. It shot 1" average 5 shots at 100y with 35 gr Vmax and 15 gr Blue Dot ~3600 fps. That rifle was stolen in April.

In May I bought a used mail order Ruger #1V .223 with 24" heavy barrel. It was full of Copper in the bore, I cleaned it out and converted to moly. I put a 6.5x20x40 scope on it. With the same ammo, it averages .78" 5 shots at 100y, with the best group at .46".

I have a #1 in 7mmMag that really shoots well, .75" 5 shot @ 50y.
    I have a #1 in .270 that does not shoot acceptably: 1.75" 3 shot at 100y

My rating on Ruger's #1 barrels is 3 out of 4.

The wind is 4 mph predicted by http://www.accuweather.com/
    at the zip code of the range, at noon when it opens today.

I am going to take a long lunchSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wyo Elk:
    Roger-- is your #1 stock? or have you had to do any work to the forearm, trigger?

Everything is stock so far. A trigger job is in the back of my mind. Grew up on stiff triggers and for what I do it ain't all bad. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tnekkcc:
    Roger, shooting a Ruger #1 in .223 is as good as it gets.

I am going to take a long lunchSmiler

Let us know how lunch turns out. popcornroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post

Great first group for a new barrel.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    Roll EyesNice lunch thumbroger