New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forester presses
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you fellows use the Forester press? I was looking for a addition to my Rockchucker for loading larger cartridges like the 470NE. Came across one of these at Cabellas. Seemed very neat and simple. Curious how they may hold up?
I did e-mail them to see if they do make a large press able to accept 3.25" shells.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You thinking about the Forster CoAx?? If yes, that press has a large following amongst the members here. I always think of it as the "Mercedes" of presses, it is that smooth. Die changes are also very fast, the primer catcher excellent, and it does away with the need for shellholders - although changing between cartridge groups is a bit slower.

What the CoAx is NOT, is a large press. In my mind, it is best suited for small to medium size cases,.. In particular seating bullets in long cases is a bit of a chore, because you have to turn bullets to fit them in below the die (in particular if you choose to use the excellent Forster dies).

If you are looking for a press for LOOONGG cases, there are better choices - e.g. the Redding Big Boss, RCBS AmmoMaster etc. But if you are looking for a luxurious press to use for small to medium size cases, few are better than the CoAx.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mho,

That is the one!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee's Classic Cast press is a quality tool with excellant user features, large and strong enough to reload .50 BMG.

Any press is smooth after it's broken in.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but i do load things like 479,416,375 in my cozx. if the case/bullet is to long to seat, you just slike the die out abit and hold the bullet in the case while you slide the whole works back in and presto/chango you got a round

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the stuff the Forster makes but when I had to get something to load my
45-3 1/4 (aka - .45-120) I ended up getting the RCBS Ammomaster. There was no real reason for that decision, it was just something I did. I don't know if the Coax can handle 3 1/4" cases but you might contact them & ask. My AmmoMaster did fine and even though I'm not loading the big .45 now, it's still the press I use.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a co-ax & like it a lot, but the longest rounds I load are .300 win mag & 7mm rem mag. There is enough clearance to seat bullets easily for those two but not a lot of extra. I would think that anything much longer might get tricky. Call Forester - they are good guys. I got my press used & I had a few questions. They were very helpful.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote