THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

should i be dissapointed? range results.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hadnt done much load development with my 280ackley. had only shot 162gr A-maxs and decided id try some 168gr Matchkings to see if i could get anymore accuracy out of it.

did load up a few rounds.

VV-N560 loaded 55-58grs, nosler 280AI brass, CCI br primers with the 168gr SMKs. both 55 and 56gr did around 3/4", 57 did .475" and 58 did 1.2"
5 shot groups at 100yards off sandbags.

didnt chrony the first 2 loads

was happy enough with the half inch group but wasnt really satisfied with the 2735FPS +-3FPS from 57grains, fantastic velocity consistancy however! but dissapointing velocity.

58grains of powder yielded 2830FPS with a similar variation in velocity. better velocity but poor accuracy, didnt go any higher as i thought the accuracy would get worse.

my 162gr A-max load is 59gr N560, nosler brass, fed 210 GMM. they cruise at 2900FPS with a larger S.D and they shoot around 3/4MOA to 600yards.

where to next for my SMK load?

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, if long range accuracy is what you are wanting I think it would be worth it to try the 58 grain load at longer ranges. As I'm sure you may know, groups could actualy tighten up.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
paul, just because groups of 58 grs. were larger doesn't mean that they won't tighten back up if you go higher, pressures permitting. i would try 58.5&59grs. and see what happens.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
It could be differences in twist/stabilization. Not all 1 in 9" barrels stabilize all 168 grain bullets the same. I suggest you try the 150gr SMK. You might be surprised.

i was going to give the 150s a try but for some reason i decided id try the 168gr

assuming it was a stabilisation problem, wouldnt the groups get better as it went faster?

right, ill put in more powder!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from nz:
hadnt done much load development with my 280ackley. had only shot 162gr A-maxs and decided id try some 168gr Matchkings to see if i could get anymore accuracy out of it.

did load up a few rounds.

VV-N560 loaded 55-58grs, nosler 280AI brass, CCI br primers with the 168gr SMKs. both 55 and 56gr did around 3/4", 57 did .475" and 58 did 1.2"
5 shot groups at 100yards off sandbags.

didnt chrony the first 2 loads

was happy enough with the half inch group but wasnt really satisfied with the 2735FPS +-3FPS from 57grains, fantastic velocity consistancy however! but dissapointing velocity.

58grains of powder yielded 2830FPS with a similar variation in velocity. better velocity but poor accuracy, didnt go any higher as i thought the accuracy would get worse.

my 162gr A-max load is 59gr N560, nosler brass, fed 210 GMM. they cruise at 2900FPS with a larger S.D and they shoot around 3/4MOA to 600yards.

where to next for my SMK load?

All is not lost. You learned a little about your rifle. All premium components does not guarantee one hole groups.
You, your scope and your barrel may be contributing to you disappointment.

I have had ordinary Federal round nose factory loads out shoot carefully assembled hand loads due to bullet and throat incompatibility in a 7X57.
I have also shot 7MM match bullets in a 7mm Rem Mag that performed no better than ordinary 140 grain soft points.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The A-max is one of the longest bullets out there, if your rifle stabelizes them, it should handle the SMK. I would try 1/2gr increases & see if it tightens up, maybe very OAL. You & the rifle are obviously capable. It could also be the rifle doesn't like SMK above a certain vel. happens. My 338-06 will not shoot any 225gr bullet well much over 2550fps, yet handles 200/210gr & 250gr w/ exc. accuracy.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rifle is a rem700 action that has been trued, with a 26" 1-9 lilja, its only a #5 contour. nightforce 5.5-22X50. mounted in nightforce rings where the bases and rings are all one piece. probably stiffins the action a little too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When working up loads, in my 6PPC BR rifle, I often encounter small groups at lower velocities. While these loads may shoot well, on a calm day, they often fail to "buck" the conditions when they arise. As I increase the powder charge, in small increments, the groups normally open up, only to close back up as I approach maximum. This method is loosely related to the often discussed "Ladder Test".

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote