Find
Notify
Tools

307/308 rcbs reloading die
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted
I was on Midway today and they list this die with both #'s.

I did some research and found the 307 is a rimmed version of the 308 and was used in Winchester 94 lever guns.

Is this die appropriate for loading the 308 or should I go with an X die which is specificlly for 308?

Posts: 156 | Location: NY | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the same die to re-size both without any problems.
But as far as what make of die to buy that is up to you,Good Luck.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But as far as what make of die to buy that is up to you,Good Luck.

I gather you do not like the RCBS dies.

I've been reloading for 25 years and have never had an issue with RCBS dies.

I purchased the Lee dies a couple of years ago for my 223 and 8mm, because RCBS were out of stock.

Needless to say I will never purchase another Lee die, both those dies were replaced by RCBS.

Stuck cases broken decapper pins and so on, they were really garbage.

I have never had an issue with RCBS and they work perfect for me, I know there are better dies but the RCBS works for me.

Thanks for the input, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was on Midway today and they list this die with both #'s.

Wonder...maybe they know what they're talking about?

What Plaisman means is the brand really doesn't matter. Unless there is a specific feature about one brand you like. Anyway, they all work pretty much the same on average.

Stuck cases come from poor lubing, not the brand. Lee's decap pins are as tuff as they come and if you gonna reject every brand that you break a decap pin in you gonna run outta brands pretty soon. Needless to say, I suppose. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that a 307 die set must come with rimmed case shellholder and a 308 die set with a rimless case shellholder? Maybe the reason for the differnt #?

In theory being a rimmed case LESS of a 307 will enter the die as the shellholder will be that little much further up it as it hold above the rim unlike the 30 that engages in the rim?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only difference in the .307/.308 cartridges IS the rim, thus different shell holders, but ONLY Lee includes shell holders with two of their die sets.

There is no difference in the depth of standard shell holders. They are designed to capture 1/8th inch (.125") of the case heads no matter the rim type. All (normal) sizer dies are reamed to work into that depth of shell holder.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of thirtycal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stuck cases come from poor lubing, not the brand. Lee's decap pins are as tuff as they come and if you gonna reject every brand that you break a decap pin in you gonna run outta brands pretty soon. Needless to say, I suppose. ??

Jim, I didn't intend to start a debate, just giving my opinion of personal experiences.

I lube my cases the same using both types of dies and I have never got a stuck case or broken decapper pin in all of my 30 or so RCBS dies in 25 years of reloading.

That being said, I apologize if anyone took offense to what I posted, I did not intend it to be that way.