New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight neck?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend of mine recently had a '03 Springfield rebarreled in .270. I was tinkering around with it, trying to make up some dummy rounds using once-fired (factory) brass. Usually I have to dent the side of the neck or something to keep the bullet from just falling into the body with fired brass, but this one was a light friction fit. Tight is not even the right word, but it was sufficient to hold a bullet.

Will this present any reloading problems (pressure)? I don't have any neck-turning gear, and was wondering if I should suggest that he return it to the gunsmith to open up the neck a touch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you just measure the neck diameter of your cases then order a bushing die from Redding about .002 or .003 smaller to solve the problem? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need a chamber neck diameter at least .002" over loaded case neck diameter to be safe, better a bit more (.004-.006" or so) for hunting purposes.

Multiple ways of finding out: ask the smith who cut the chamber, what diameter his reamer was set up for. Have a chamber cast done, and measure neck diameter. Or fire a factory round (which chambers effortlessly), and measure the neck diameter of the fired brass - figure .001-.0015" springback.

Now measure loaded neck diameters of the rounds (brass manufacture) you intend to use, and compare. Is sufficient clearance available?

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only way to really tell the diameter of your neck is to make a chamber cast of it and measure. In a lot of the tight necked barrels that I shoot, a bullet will not fit into the case after fireing. It does not necessarily mean not enough clearence, but it is getting close.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote