Notify
Tools

Re: Unsafe pressure w/ Yugo 48A?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
Quote:

With a Yugo action, I don't think you can rechamber for 8mm-06, but you could probably get a worthwhile boost in power if you could do some sort of "Ackley Improved" 8x57. I'll bet Wildcat Junkie knows something about that.

Denton is absolutely correct, the 8mm-06 will not fit into the M48 Yugo as this action, although a true "large ring" M98 action in all other respects, is built on the "small ring" length. It is what is commonly known as an "intermediate length" action. Internal magazine length is about 3.225" and, unlike the "standard length" K98, (3.315") there is no room left for "expansion". The K98 magazine box can be lengthened to 3.8" with nothing more than a file and perhaps a little "dremel" work to the bolt stop. Although the M48 is a full 1/4" shorter than the K98, the magazine is only about .090" shorter. This is accomplished (according to the VZ500 commercial actions that I posess) by shortening up the feed ramp. In other words, the magazine has been lengthened to the front about .135" with another .025 to the rear. THESE DIMENSIONS ARE ONLY MY OBSERVASIONS AND ARE NOT ENGINEERING DATA.

So, with the M48 we are "stuck" with short action cartridges such as .308. 7mm-08, .260 .243 etc. But wait a minute! This action can accomodate cartridges with a COL of up to 3.150" or so. Now we can chamber some excellent "intermediate length" such as 8x57, 6.5x55, 7x57 and all of it's dirivitives (257 Roberts, 6mm Rem or any wildcat based on the 7x57 case) The "bob" and 6mm Rem are considered "short action" cartridge, but adding .350" to the COL of these rounds makes them more "flexible" when using heavier bullets for "Deer sized" game. So the cartridges we are "stuck" with include some excellent choices in an action that is shorter, lighter and somewhat stiffer and therefore perhaps more accurate that a "standard length" M98.

As for the 8x57 Ackley Improved.

I thought I might be able to use 7x57 A.I. data and merely increase the bore size with my "Quickload" program. This would make chambering the 8x57 A.I. a simple matter of using a "piloted" 7x57 A.I. reamer and troating the 8mm neck in a separate operation. Alas the 7x57 is about .100" shorter to the shoulder. the increase in capacity is insignificant. I did interpolate some data and came up with a case capacity of 66.6grs of H2O, a 6% increase from 63grs.

The following data is pure conjecture and is not based on any firsthand knowlege.

8x57 Ackley Improved (experiment)
24" barrel, 3.150 COL

180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

• Win 760 101.1% load density 2917fps 60000psi
  • VV N550 104.1% load density 2916fps 60000psi
  • Norma N203B 99.5% load density 2890fps 60000psi
  • IMR 4895 97.2% load density 2887fps 60000psi

200gr Nosler Partition

• Win 760 96.6% load density 2787fps 60000psi
  • IMR 4350 106.4% load density 2781fps 60000psi
  • VV N550 99.8% load density 2765fps 60000psi

For another 37fps with the 200gr Par or 60fps with 180 BT, the expense of having a custom reamer made hardly seems worth it. Clymer does not list an 8x57 A.I. reamer in their database. I suppose one could just run a 7x57 A.I. reamer in another .100" since we would be reaming the neck portion separately anyway, but again 37-60fps would hardly be worth it. Still if one wanted to "push the envelope" the reduced taper and 40* shoulder of the A.I. version would allow longer case life and perhaps safely allow another 5000psi chamber pressure. I will not list "Quickload" data @ 65000psi, but a velocity increase of about 30-70fps would be achieved albeit we are now getting "close to the edge", and that is what we are trying to avoid here isn't it?

I guess there isn't much room for "improving" the old 8x57 Mauser, they got it right the first time.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Clark,

I believe what you feel immune to is common sense.

Please do use 8mmfan's disclaimer. It would be a first for you.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricochet,

You beat me to it!

I think it should slow down Nervous Nellies.

8mmFan,

That isn't copyrighted is it?

So I could use it?

Quote:

FIRST, READ NO FURTHER BEFORE READING THIS: THE INTERNET IS NO PLACE TO GATHER SPECIFIC RELOADING INFORMATION. THE FOLLOWING LOADS GREATLY EXCEED SAFE LOADS, AND WILL PROBABLY KILL YOU IF YOU TRY TO USE THEM. IF THEY DON'T KILL YOU, YOU STILL STAND A GOOD CHANCE OF HAVING YOUR HANDS BLOWN OFF OR OF LOSING YOUR EYESIGHT. A PIECE OF STEEL FROM YOUR EXPLODED RIFLE ACTION MAY EASILY PIERCE YOUR FRONTAL BRAIN LOBE, RENDERING YOU A VEGETABLE, UNCONTROLLABLY PISSING AND CRAPPING ON YOURSELF FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. That is not said as a joke. DO NOT DUPLICATE THESE LOADS IN YOUR RIFLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I WORKED UP THOSE LOADS NOT KNOWING WHAT SAFE PRESSURES WERE AND WILL NOT REPEAT THE PROCESS.

I can't think of anything to add to that disclaimer, so...

I feel immune to Chicken Little postsSmiler

z1r,

I wondered how I was getting 6,000 downloads on that picture of 243 brass, and now I know. You're my publicistSmiler

--

A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark,

I enjoy your posts, and realize that only by breaking things can we know how strong our toys are. I'm glad that you pay for the broken guns and not me.

This applies to far more than guns.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote