Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing .300 H&H brass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Neck size or resize the full cartidge length?

Been shooting 180 grns in it to make it happy .5 inch at 100 yards.

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
JL,

(I don't shoot a 300.) For hunting I use a full length sizing die and Redding Competition Shell Holders to bump the shoulder back a realiable .002 inches. I then get the best of both worlds...

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JLHeard:
Neck size or resize the full cartidge length?

Been shooting 180 grns in it to make it happy .5 inch at 100 yards.

JLH/ I would let the gun decide..if your gun has a nice tight chamber and you can get the neck sized round into the chamber easily then try neck sizing but if you chamber is on the max side of specs you may have to full length resize OR try the old part full resize with the die backed off the shell holder a 1/10 in. or so....the 300h/h is one of the few belted cases that really needs the belt and that long tapered case makes feeding easy my 1953 model 70Win. will handle part full length resized with heavy loads with no problem....good luck and good shooting with a grand old cartridge!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
Just like the .375....size about 3/4 of the neck. Chambers easy...cases last

one of us
posted Hide Post
With all calibers, as the previous post says, let the gun decide.

Start with your FL die about 1/16" off of the shellholder and size an empty. Try it in the chamber. Turn the die down progressively until the empty chambers with just a tiny bit of resistance (or none if you prefer), and stop there.

Some chambers will require all the sizing you can give them, while others need only enough to firmly grip the bullet.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I normally smoke the case with a match or candle and run it into the die until it is just short of the shoulder about a hair width then try it in the gun and proceed as Stonecreek suggest...I want the hunting loads to go in slick and easy.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neck size if at all possible.

The 300 H & H has a very long and sloping shoulder, and will stretch cases badly if you size them down too far.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
you are correct as usual, however case stretching is a way of life with us 300 H&H and 404 Jefferys user, no matter what.

The real cure to stretching is the new RCBS dies..I have been using them in the 8x57 and man do they slow down the process....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions all!

As was posted, my dad and I have played with several loads and seem to have found one that works.

I'm using a 200grn Nosler Partition with 66grns of RL22. This morning it shot MoA at 100 and 200 yards. 300 yrds was over MoA, but it was windy

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote