Find
Notify
Tools

Powder smell
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
I'm working up some varmint loads for a .257 and thought I'd use H335, so I dug out an old canister I've had for about five years. Though it's been tightly sealed, it smells a bit "vinegary," unlike the normal acrid smell I'm accustomed to. Is this normal of older powders (I've never observed it with others of similar age)? I didn't use it tonight, but I'd still like to try that powder. Any comments on the smell related to reliability of the powder?

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several reloading manuals state that an "acidic odor" is a sign of chemical breakdown in a can of powder. The powder should smell of acetone and other volatile organic solvents.

It would be impossible to predict the present burn characteristics of this foul smelling propellant. It would make good lawn and garden fertalizer, as it is high in nutrients.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much what I figured. I'be gone to Benchmark and Varget in my other small cartridges, so I'll probably just stick with one of those in the .257. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on the "smell test", I'd get rid of it. Why take a chance? Powder really isn't that expensive. Better safe than sorry.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with an old can of IMR4320 which I hadn't used in several years. When I opened it, it really smelled rancid and was instantly used as fertilizer. I always have 15-20lbs of powder on hand of every type anbd had never noticed this before. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I purchased a lb. of one of the more popular 30/06 powders. loaded a series of 10 round increments and went to the range. the first round (way below max) knocked me off the rest. The blt was locked solid and I was slightly shaken; Went home pulled the bullets from all tthe remaining rounds and all weighed as loaded. Only after this did I notice the vinegary smell. Took the can back to the store, after some discussion, the owner agreed that the powder smelled "funny". He then proceeded to open up several other cans in his inventory, the entire invebtory of that lot was bad. The powder company after a long series of calls decided that powder in question must have been in the summer heat in transit for too long. The point of the lesson to me was-- I smell every can I open before it goes into the powder measure.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping a "ether" smell is OK...

And very oddly this smell is coming from loaded ammo. I've got 50 rounds of Talon 50 BMG and 20 rounds of Hunting Shack 50 BMG in a dry box. When I open it, it smells very strongly of ether. Normal?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
When they start smelling like shrimp scampi, instead of the ante-pasto, give me a call...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's few ways to describe the solvent odor of good powder, my descript would be "ether".

That's what my fresh and surplus powders smell like.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to say good powder smells like rubbing alcohol. Comments? Comparisons? "You're full of shit"s?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
When they start smelling like shrimp scampi, instead of the ante-pasto, give me a call...

MMMmmmm Shrimp Scampi.... homer

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The normal smell for powder is one of solvents whether it be 'ether' or some other solvent. When it starts to break down the cellulose nitrate produces various nitrogen compounds such as ammonia etc.These I would define as 'acrid'.There will probably be a change in color to an orange or yellow. In any case when in doubt dump it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it normal that some powders don't have very much of a smell at all? And is it normal to have discoloration with out the rancid smell or vice versa?
BB

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote