New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Identification with pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 257 roberts that I believe is an old mauser conversion but I don't what kind of mauser. There is no safety on the bolt it is on the side. I will try to get some pics posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tap-21, sounds like someone has started to sporterize your Mauser, any other markings of any kind. dates or anything, Mausers make good sporting rifles, I have some myself 98's and 96's. Keep us posted on your project. All-rite

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is a pic of the action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN supreme - came with the side safety the deluxe came with the safety on the bolt

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone for your help but I need to know if it is possible to get a relplacement trigger for this gun and which kind would be best?

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Santa barbara , spain

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Based on the shape of that bolt handle I think it is a Santa Barbara ( Made in Spain )

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with D. Humbarger. the bolt handle is wrong for an FN.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tap_21:
I would like to thank everyone for your help but I need to know if it is possible to get a relplacement trigger for this gun and which kind would be best?

Yes, you could use a Timney with the side safety as a complete replacement - but I'd check t see if the trigger is adjustable before replacing it. Looks nice!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
El Deguello the trigger is non adjustable all it has is a spring no adjustments what so ever. Also what timney trigger would I have to get? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
heres a bold trigger for it.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BrowseEbus/triggers.asp

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry jb I was wondering what mauser style of trigger I would have to have to fit the rifle above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what style of mauser trigger I would have to have as a replacement?

EX. model 98

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tap, what did you not like about the trigger jb posted a link to??

This would likely also work (speak to Timney about which exact model you need):

http://www.timneytriggers.com/sunshop/index.php/action/...revid/1/prevstart/0/

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Santa Barbara Mauser I have ever seen had "Santa Barbara, Spain" engraved on the left/rear receiver below the stock line, just above the trigger group.

I have no idea whether or not this was a standard practice.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bold trigger,
I prefer the timney , I have a bunch of those...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry it's not that I didn't like the style of trigger but I didn't know which of the two to get the model 98 or 94/96 or will either of them fit a santa barbara. I'm sorry I'm just not that knowleadgable on mausers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a model 98 style rifle, so most of the triggers for 98's will work. You can probably change it yourself with a pin punch. The new trigger may have a bigger sheet metal box, so you may have to remove some stock wood to make it fit.

Try cleaning and lubricating the existing trigger, it may make it acceptable to you. I like spray brake cleaner.

I have a Bold Optima, and I doubt it is much better than what you have already. I have not adjusted it, so maybe its better than I think.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tap_21:
Does anyone know what style of mauser trigger I would have to have as a replacement?

EX. model 98

I believe that OP 98 model on the Boyd's website mentioned above would work. You need one with the side safety, unless you want to have a 3-position, Model 70-type safety installed on the bolt shroud. That type would be safer, since it retracts and locks the striker....

Why don't you e-mail Boyd's and ask them if that trigger will work on a Santa Barbara M98-type Mauser action?

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote