New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading in 222
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings from the UK

I have just got an Anschutz in 222 and have had no great luck so far. The Anschutz is extremely finicky with the brass .Having loaded 100 new Lapua cases, I found that the brass loaded (re-sized by lee FB die) would not cycle. Dismantled the lot and re-sized with a Redding die (they now cycle)
It would seem that the Anschutz has very little variation from the SAMMI measurements. Being new it is very tight anyway.

That aside, I am using Nosler 40s & 50s, Barnes 50 VLC and A-Max 52s
Powder I have is V133, Benchmark and Varget.
I am looking for a good reasonably quick load for Varmiting that is very accurate.
I have tried the VV load data but it is extremely hot for either this 222 or my Winchester 223.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info so far.
One thing about buying powder this side of the pond is that a 1Lb tub of powder costs about $47 (�30 sterling) so I will try with what I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Every 222 I've owned, several, has shot well with a quality 50 grn bullet and 19.5 to 20.5 grns of H4198. If you have it available there, I'd give it a try.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
In my Anschutz, a a mod.1533 Stutzen, I had my best groups using
IMR4198 19.0-19.2grains with 52grs match bullets.
It a long time that I don't shoot with it......I have to prepare some cartridges and make my beauty sing again.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have tried the VV load data but it is extremely hot for either this 222 or my Winchester 223.

If you reduce the max. VV load a little, to 23.5 grain or so with a 50 grain SPT bullet (Sierra), I found for my Anschuetz that I actually gained accuracy. Brass fully calibrated with RCBS dies works for me and chambers easily, I necksize only after that.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Anschutz is extremely finicky with the brass .Having loaded 100 new Lapua cases, I found that the brass loaded (re-sized by lee FB die) would not cycle. Dismantled the lot and re-sized with a Redding die (they now cycle)
It would seem that the Anschutz has very little variation from the SAMMI measurements. Being new it is very tight anyway.

Blue, forgive me for being thick, but what is an FB die?? Factory something or what??

Is your Redding die a FL (Full Length) sizing die?

So you load new Lapua cases, fire and resize with the Lee FB (whatever that is) die. And the brass won't chamber in the same chamber in which they were fired. Hmmm, normally you don't strictly need to FL size for a bolt action as long as you fire the brass in the same chamber. Necksizing should be sufficient, at least for a couple of firings.

I doubt the Anschutz has a minimal SAAMI chamber, it might have a chamber on the small side, but I doubt this is the issue with having to FL size. After all, you can chamber the new factory brass OK.

I don't think you need to worry about getting different powders. The powders you have (VV N133 and Varget) are some of the powders I would expect to provide good accuracy. Your barrel probably has a 1-14" twist rate, so you should stay below 55 grs (50 - 52 grs should do fine) in bullet weight. 55 grs might stabilize, but then again it might not.

Before you jump off a bridge in frustration over your handloads, try a box of RWS, Norma or Lapua match ammo. That ammo is usually very accurate, and will allow you to gauge whether anything is amiss with the gun or sights.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote