New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb case ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heres my dumb question..Can i take a 270 case and run it in a 30-06 FL resizeing die and shoot it in my 30-06 as easy as that,no fire forming or neck trimming?Does anyone else do this kind of case swaping?I have a couple hundred once fired 270 cases and i dont own the 270 rifle anymore.......
I do understand that i would not ever let the 270 cases reformed into new 30-06 loads ever get around a 270 rifle for safety....I just wondered how common this practice was...What other cases could be resized out of the 270 brass cases & reused with & without fire forming?Also what is crush fit?Thanks in advance! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one .270 and countless 30-06s.
All I have EVER done is neck down 30-06 brass.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably. First, will the expander in your 30-06 die expand the necks without splitting the necks or caving in the shoulder? Try it and find out. You'll probably want some case lube inside the neck.

The next issue is headspace. If the resulting case has excessive headspace, it will be unsafe to fire. If the 30-06 die is bumping the shoulder, you should be OK since the resulting case will have the same headspace as a 30-06 case sized in the same die.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would double check case length after sizing.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heres my dumb question..Can i take a 270 case and run it in a 30-06 FL resizeing die and shoot it in my 30-06 as easy as that,no fire forming or neck trimming?Does anyone else do this kind of case swaping?I have a couple hundred once fired 270 cases and i dont own the 270 rifle anymore.......

Maybe. The .270 case is a little longer than a .30/'06, so you may have to trim them a little. But the headspace of the two rounds is the same, and opening them up to .308" might make them shorten up a little. However, make sure the mouths are square after expanding them.

I'd expand them, clean off all sizing lube, then try them in my gun to make sure they will chamber before putting in primers, powder & bullets.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This week, I've been making 25-06 out of 270. 270 is a lot longer then 30-06 or 25-06. At least it seems like alot on my manual case trimmer.

Last weekend, at the gun show, I found a 25-06 trim die. Much faster! On about the 5th case, I discovered that this RCBS trim die is NOT a form die! Now I need a stuck case remover, too.

25-06 brass is about $25 per 100. I'm not saving anything! But, i do have about 300 pieces of 270 brass.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a miser of some distinction, I have opened up .270 cases I picked up on the range to .30-06. Anneal the case necks, use enough lube (inside the case neck) before running them through the .30-06 die, and get ready to trim several millimetres off the resultant case to get it back to '06 spec. After that, I fireformed the cases in my '06 with squib loads, before using my regular loads. Worked fine.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote