Find
Notify
Tools

Trouble with 45-ACP
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted
I been reloading for about 10 years now with little to no problems. I am starting to have problems with my 45 ACP loads. I checked them with one of those gauges you drop a loaded round into. They dont go all the way down into the gauge. It seems that one side of the case has a bludge in it from the seating operation. They cases went into the gauge fine after sizing, so I think the seating operations is what is causes it. I use all kinds of brass including range brass I find. My brass is several years old but never had any problems untill now. Is my brass just worn out and needs replacing? The bludge is with lead or jacketed bullets. Anyone out there who can help me?

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Could your crimp be turned in a little too much? Also, does this problem happen with newly trimmed brass? I'd try trimming it first, then if it is still there back off the crimp an eigth turn or whatever.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
The problem seem to be after seating the bullet. After sizing all cases fit into the gauge fine.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using cast bullets, adjust your crimp, by backing the die out of the loader a little. It sounds like you are putting too much taper crimp on the bullet, which will bulge the lead bullet at the case mouth thereby preventing full entry into the case gage (or pistol chamber).

That does not explain why you would have the same problem with jacketed bullets. The only similar problem (that was not due to over crimping) that I have had due to brass manufacturer is ArmsCor, or something like that? Their brass just isn't made to the same spec. as other 45 ACP and would routinely be over diameter for me.

Or with much used brass the case head will become so battered that is too large in daiameter to seat fully into a case gage. Then it is time to discard that case.

Hope this is of help.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... I checked them with one of those gauges you drop a loaded round into. They dont go all the way down into the gauge. It seems that one side of the case has a bludge in it from the seating operation. ...

Remove your barrel and drop a loaded round in it. If it goes in easy, reassemble the pistol.

Next go outside, load the magazine(if you are in town, leave the firing pin out), rack the slide and see if the bolt completely closes. Do this for the entire magazine or even a couple of them so the "bulge" is rotated to a different position during feeding. If it will feed and lock, then it will usually be 100% reliable when self-loading.

I'd guess you will find it to work slick as ever. And that means the bulge is going to be more of a cosmetic issue than a real problem.

The bulge is occurring because the Full Length Resizer is reducing the case wall enough so the case will have a good grip on the bullet. Then your "Taper Crimp" Die should be set so it only straightens the mouth back into straight alignment - no more. You should not be doing a Roll Crimp, nor should your Die have that capability. Since the 45ACP "Headspaces" on the Case-mouth, the leading edge of the Case-mouth needs to be straight. (As a last resort, read the directions that came with the Die Set. )

This "Headspacing" issue is also the reason your Cases need to be trimmed properly.

---

You may be able to reduce the "bulge" by making sure you are "Flaring" the Case-mouth just enough so the bullet will barely sit inside the Flare. And Seat the Bullet smoothly and slowly, without trying to slam it in.

If that doesn't help, then perhaps the Cases have work hardened a bit and new Cases "might" help a bit, but they won't eliminate it.

Absolutely the finest "pistol" cartridge in existance. If you take care of it, it will sure take care of you(voice of experience).

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimp,

Several possible causes come to mind :

1. The case guage is smaller than the chamber, and is catching a few cases with thicker than normal walls. AMERC brass is the worst offender here, the brass measures .015 at the case mouth , most other brass is real close to .010.

2. Check your crimp setting, you should have .469 - .470 measured at the very end of the case. More is not better, less is not better either.

Seeing the bullet bulge is actually a good thing, it means you have resized the brass enough that the bullet has to move the walls slightly to seat in the case. This gives good bullet grip and ensures that the bullet stays put during feeding. Loose bullets set back and blow things up, tight is good.

Most case guages are alot smaller than most chambers.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post

You should not crimp a 45 ACP at all. If you dont have a taper crimp try running the loaded cartridge back into the
full length sizer. You can feel the case crimp about half way in. If that works spring for a taper crimp die.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pistol handloads often will not go gently into the chamber.
I partial resize the loaded ammo.
A Lee Factor Crimp [pistol] has an oversized carbide sizing ring that does the same thing.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote