Find
Notify
Tools

Clean burning powder for 40S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
I'm getting ready to reload some 40S&W rounds. I currently have Unique powder I use in a 357 Mag but it is too dirty burning for my liking.

I've read a few other posts on here and people seem to really like vihtavuori powder for accuracy and it is clean burning but the cost seems to turn a lot of people off (including me).

What other powders do you use that are clean burning an accurate for a 40S&W? More specifically the Smith and Wesson M&P.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm using Power Pistol in my two Sig .40's and love the clean burn and velocity plus accuracy with it in the 155's and the 180's.

You can really get some great velocity with that powder.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will try that out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WSF is the magic powder for normal to light weight bullets in the 40 S&W. Measures very well. Burns cleanly, and you can get very high velocities in ramped barrel guns with middle weight to lighter bullets.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N-340

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
If it were not for the sooty residue left by Unique powder, would you say you got good performance from Unique in your 40 S&W?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
If it were not for the sooty residue left by Unique powder, would you say you got good performance from Unique in your 40 S&W?

I have not yet loaded for the 40S&W yet. I have Unique on hand I use in my .357 magnum but would prefer not to use it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike,
I have been using Unique in 40S&W, 357mag, and
9mm for over 10yrs. Yes it is sooty however I am extremely happy with its performance, especially in the 40. I clean after every range session so I don't see soot as a problem.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What part of getting your gun dirty is so bad about Unique?
I find that AA5, Silhouette, and Power Pistol are accurate in .40S&W.
Don't know anything about dirty, just know that the gun is still shooting after 4-500 rounds without issue.
Also, VV powders are expensive, but in the worst case, your cost goes from $0.001/round for powder to $0.02/round.
Haven't tried N320, N340, or 3N37, but they all should work quite well.
For 155gn bullets, Unique is very good.
You can go with Clays Universal for a powder that is "cleaner" burning than Unqiue.

Posts: 129 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
WSF is the magic powder for normal to light weight bullets in the 40 S&W. Measures very well. Burns cleanly, and you can get very high velocities in ramped barrel guns with middle weight to lighter bullets.

Even w/ 180gr bullets, WSF & Unique provide top accuracy for me & easily hit factory level velocities.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I mean VERY high velocities!!! I almost hesitate to talk about it much as my guns are very well built and I am very careful!

Loaded to normal length I have seen 1300+ fps from well built pistols.

Loaded to near 10mm length and fired in a ramped barreled 1911-based comp gun (that is built like a brick outhouse) I have achieved 1580 fps.

When IPSC was considering a 40 cal floor for major some years ago, the load I worked with make 1350 from a 4 1/2" barreled comp gun (pf = 182). Shot one deer with that load at 65 yards. Damage looked like it had swallowed a handgrenade. No kidding.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote