Notify
Tools

Bullet types and powder charges?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if bullet type affects powder charge if the bullets are the same weight? My Lyman's manual has data for 230gr cast bullets that uses Clays powder. It does not have data for a 230gr JHP. Can I use the data for the cast bullet with Clays powder, but seat a JHP? Thanks!

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not try that.. I would use the right data per bullet you are going to use with that powder..

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Possibly. What caliber? 45acp? then yes. Check Hodgdon data > Hodgdon Load Data Other wise, NO or maybe not.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A starting powder charger for cast, may stick a bullet in the barrel when using a jacketed bullet.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Well I decided to go with 200gr Hornady XTP .451 for my next loads, but the manual lists OAL at 1.178 which is not going to feed in my 1911. Can I seat them to 1.230 like I was the 185gr hornady XTP's?

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic883:
Well I decided to go with 200gr Hornady XTP .451 for my next loads, but the manual lists OAL at 1.178 which is not going to feed in my 1911. Can I seat them to 1.230 like I was the 185gr hornady XTP's?

I dunno. Why not create a few dummy rounds and check? (Dummy rounds = no powder or primer.)

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Hornady lists the 200 XTP at 1.240.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
To answer the other question not usually. A cast or plated bullet is softer than a jacketed bullet, two bullets of the same weight and jacket composition may have different bearing surfaces causing different pressures from the same powder weight.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Well crap...

Sam I had seated them to match the lyman data of 1.178 but left them a bit long at 1.188. I've only done 40 rounds. They feed ok, but should I disassemble them and seat out to 1.240?

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I'm loading the rest of the rounds at 1.240. I guess since I'm between the two data specs on the 40 I've loaded I'll just shoot em? What do you all think? Safe?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Should be fine. I've seated bullets wrong so many times but as long as they'll feed, my 1911's don't care.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the 45 a couple of thosandths isn't a big deal, and seating longer is going to reduce pressure some.

there are some very good posts in this thread.

if it were a 9mm then seating short is very bad without reducing the load [pressures rise quickly in the little cases]

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the great info! I think I'm getting the basic idea of OAL and what it does to pressure and accuracy.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
As everyone said, as long as it feeds right you'll be okay.