Find
Notify
Tools

Primers for 40 S&W??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I am an old IPSC shooter and have loaded small rifle primers in Super and 40 for EVER with no difficulty.

They are obviously more energetic than small pistol primers.

Am currently trying to conserve small rifle primers as I haven't been able to buy any lately.

Need to do a run of 40 S&W mid energy 180 gr FMJ ammo. Turns out I do have a bunch of small pistol magnum primers. Would like to use them for this purpose as I very, very seldom use these primers for anything.

I'd bet the energy of these primers is not equal to the small rifle primers I usually use. Given a kinda light to middle load, I'd bet the small magnum pistol primers would do fine.

Any thoughts? Anyone have a link to a listing of primer energy?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I probably wouldn't use SR primers in any 40, but I have used SPM primers. As long as your load isn't pushing max, I've found w/ most powders, swapping priemrs has little affect. If you work the load up, as you alrady know, you can use just about anything.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The small pistol mag primers worked fine with the load.

Will use them for the "light stuff" that gets fired in Glocks and SIGs and continue to run small rifle primers in the hot 40 used in race guns.

Will probably stock only small rifle primers into the future (when they are available) once the small pistol primers are used up ... just to keep it simple.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote