Find
Notify
Tools

.308 winchester subsonic???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i have a ruger scout in .308... with a zeiss 3-9x44 conquest on it... and i've got a can coming... can someone recommend some "heavy for caliber" subsonic loading data.. i'd like to shoot 200-220 gr's... thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
170 flat tip 30-30 bullet..with 11 grains of trail boss... shoots good and thumps pigs.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be easy to do with a cast bullet.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
170 flat tip 30-30 bullet..with 11 grains of trail boss... shoots good and thumps pigs.

Ed

I've been warned not to try subsonic with jacketed bullets. I have unique and some 155gr cast. I had to go down to about 3gr to get subsonic.

The big problem was that fouling increased efficiency so one subsonic then supersonic etc.

Also I've been warned off gaschecks in case they come off in which case they ruin the supressor. I'm getting someone to cast some soft non gaschecked 170s for me to try and may try trail boss if I can't get unique to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah... While you can find a load that will work... and many have... Load development can be dicey.... Be sure you have a stout steel cleaning rod and a nice mallet with you out at the range...

You are going to find the lowest risk of stuck bullets right below the trans-sonic barrier... so 950-1,000 fps or so... and since you plan to run a can - the *Pop* from the muzzle isn't an issue.... Pistol bullets can be nice here... as there is quite a variety of bullets optimized for impact velocities under 1,000 fps... Which just can't be said about "Normal" rifle bullets...

Silent without a silencer is where it gets dicey... because we are talking sub 700 fps... and some of the lead shot + primer loads are only running 100-300 fps.... That's where you probably won't be able to run jacketed...

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubtless you were warned by folks who have never tired it. No problem at all with jacketed bullets at this velocity, it is done all the time with the .300 WTF cartridges. I have had great success with the Sierra 220RN at ~1050 fps in my .32-20 Contender rifle. This bullet turns sideways in tissue and kills deer like a .44 magnum does with much lower recoil.

You will need at least a 1:10" twist rate, many .308s used 1:12" barrels. The Ruger should be fine.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A case load of trailboss and work down is the go. I prefer a cast bullet but there is no issue using jacketed. There is no expansion etc with any of the conventional bullets so use a nice heavy pill with a flat cutting meplat if possible.

Always try heavy sub loads with your can OFF until you are sure there is no chance of keyholing and turning your nice shiny suppressor inside out ;-)

To be really quiet you need to be well under "subsonic" and atmospheric conditions and temperature can have a major effect on your level of sound suppression.

Posts: 12 | Location: Canterbury NZ | Registered: 21 July 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is my go to data for cast bullet loading, the gallery loads should be of interest to anyone seeking subsonic and squib loads.

Have had good results with all the loads listed in the calibers listed and various platforms. The 3 grains of Bullseye back of a "heavy for caliber" projectile can't help but bring a smile on your face when fired in the back yard.

One I've come real accustomed to is a 22 cal pellet, stuff in the mouth of a 222 Rem with .5 grains of Bullseye and a magnum pistol primer. Starlings have no idea what hit 'em and the neighbor wonders where you got a bolt action pellet rifle.

http://home.comcast.net/~gavin...letmilitaryrifle.pdf

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Right To Bear makes 308 subsonic ammo.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
i have a ruger scout in .308... with a zeiss 3-9x44 conquest on it... and i've got a can coming... can someone recommend some "heavy for caliber" subsonic loading data.. i'd like to shoot 200-220 gr's... thanks, jim

oldSounds like a job for a 7.62X39, Eeker deep throat and fast twist. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10.0grs of Trail Boss, WLR and a 220 grain sierra round nose give me very consistent nickel to quarter sized groups at 75yrs and no sound signature.