New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee hand press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone have one of these? how do you like it?

pros and cons, please.

if anyone wants to get rid of one, let me know.

thanks!

ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
which one?
I have one of there o- frame presses and it does what i need.
dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
On LRH.com they tested them and said they gave some of the lowest runout numbers off all presses! They suggested using them to create some quick ammo without losing accuracy.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine, I weigh charges into vials and work up loads at the range. I have not pulled a bullet since I bought it.

It is made out of a light alloy, so you cannot do heavy work. I worry about springing it out when FL resizing. It has very little mechanical advantage so you use more muscle. After about 500 FL resizings, it is starting to bind up a little.

I use it for .243 win, 300 win. mag., 300 ulta mag. and 375 H&H.

Arniet

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Got one and love it. I don't use it for precision work but it's great to necksize and push out primers, and seat bullets. I can make a bazillion .223's while I watch TV.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got mine a short while back.I love it!Even if you should get something else down the road you'll still have plenty of use for it.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
I use mine regularly. I have regular one stage presses but right now I'm in an apartment and do not have the room for a real reloading room this works great while siting in the living room with music or TV. Deffinately worth the small price. I reload .45-70 Govt and .405 Winchester.

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before making the purchase, check out Huntingtons.com, RCBS. They make and sell the Compaq press. I bought one and love it. Much stronger than the Lee, which, when used properly, works just fine. I had a Lee and gave it to my son who needed a press like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
which one?
I have one of there o- frame presses and it does what i need.
dave

here's what i'm talking about:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productnumber=410804

the reviews are pretty impressive.

i'll do a little more reasearch, but i see no reason not to get one for work away from the bench or at the range for load development.

DMB - i'll check out huntingtons and see what's up with the RCBS one. thanks!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The only reason I acn think of having one is to do range loading/adjusting. For anything else, a single stage press is far superior & in a Lee, not much more money.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fred - i've got two single-stage presses (a herters and a CH "H" press), simply looking for something with a little more portability.

i checked on this RCBS compac and it is about 4 times the price of the lee hand press. ouch!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

My basic press I use at home is a C-H "H" press. Been using it since 1956 when I bought it new.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
yep - that's exactly what mine looks like, faded paint and all.

anything i should know about it? i am mounting it this weekend for first-time use!

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I would get this one if cost is to much of a problem. You will also have to get the lee shell holders.
http://www.midwayusa.com/media...ge?saleitemid=176078

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Huntington Compac hand press. Much better design and build than Lee. However, it does not catch the spent primers in the ram like the Lee hand press does. I started with the Lee, and moved up to the compac, but I still used the Lee for depriming before tumbling, at least until I got a forster co-ax...

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Thats my press. Actually we have twins, sweet presses.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hivelosity - that is a fine press and i would have no qualms about getting it, but since i already have two good bench presses there's not going to be any justifying it to my storm and strife. with the hadn press, i can make an argument that me out at the range doing man stuff would keep me from being underfoot and spreading my cooties all over her.

jake - how much do you want for your old lee hand press? i saw the forester co-ax tonight. the design looks awfully familiar!

SLVFX - i am looking forward to giving mine a try. here's a pic:

i'll ask you the same question i asked DMB - anything i should know about using it?

thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lee hand press I will part with if you want it. I dont use it as much as I thought I would. Its like new. How does $15 delivered sound as it would probably cost 5 to ship it. let me know.

Posts: 87 | Location: al | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I just keep the two columns lubed well, and it keeps on truckin'. I lube the dies threads too in the carriage on top.
I must say that it is still an excellent press to today. Other than the big Corbin press, I can't see anything I'd rather have than the "H" press.
Certainly no flex to it like a "C" presses.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Lee hand press has only one purpose: to seat bullets at the range during load workup. For that purpose, it works fine. Lee makes quite a few special purpose tools. However, $28 Midway price is double what I paid just a few short years ago.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, in addition to my Rockchucker. I use it for light duty stuff like belling case mouths for pistol or seating bullets. Or load up some rounds seated long, and take it to the range to seat them deeper while I experiment with seating depth. Sometimes if I am working with a particular cartridge I will leave my sizing die in the RCBS and the seating die in the hand press so I am not swapping dies back and forth. I would say it definitely has it's uses.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rem -you've got a PM! thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem P.M. me your adress I will get it ready to ship

Posts: 87 | Location: al | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
done ~ thanks!